Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:43 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Your government is still allowing the ownership of firearms. They are just not allowing the ownership of deemed by many as military style ones.
As to the comparison to other forms of harm. If you can not see or choose not to the differences. There is little to discuss.

I love your country and have strong ongoing family connections with it to this day. The people are in my opinion intelligent and thoughtful. So have no doubt the decisions on this issue will be also. Unlike this country where the love of guns seems to win over the love of our fellow man.
Well said.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:05 PM

Unfortunately this is getting of topic.
If you read my initial post and actually watched the video you would understand the point I am trying to make.It isn't just about banning a rifle that was legally obtained but how our government intends on doing this.As I mentioned earlier it is a little known procedure that allows the government to confiscate the rifle with no Parliamentary Debate,no Senate Debate,and no Public Debate.In other words to bad it dosen't belong to you any more.There was some mention that there may be some compensation ie buy back which would cost the tax payers million of dollars and for what.To satisfy our Prime Minister's dislike of fire arms.Also there is a list of banned rifles that our government will release if they manage to get this bill through.No one knows what's on it except for Trudeau and Blair.My guess and many others is that this bill will include most semi auto rifles and shotguns.They are trying to follow New Zealand's foot steps which has not been nearly as successful as originally claimed and has already exceeded the budget.
I'm curious.What would you say if suddenly your government implemented a ban on item with little to no chance of you receiving any type of compensation for it.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:50 PM

I'm not familiar with the situation in Canada, tho I do have family in Alberta.
My comments were of course about the US situation if off topic. I suspect it is different than here with the ease of access without accountability as it is down here.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
These are not Military Fire Arms.They are modular chassis and semi automatic(No fully automatics here)
Used for Sport Shooting,Competitive Shooting and really nothing else.
These are legally purchased fire arms.
The Big issue is how our government wishes to proceed in the banning of these supposed Military Style Assault rifles of which they do not have a description of.
Our expired so-called "assault weapons" ban, while well intentioned, had similar problems with describing the items of interest, leading to confusion and criticism.

Appearance aside, tactical weaponry, designed for military and law enforcement incorporating high capacity magazine options and rapid fire have limited civilian use and great potential for criminal intimidation and mass shootings, and I see general benefit from severely limiting distribution and use. It appears Canada is doing a better job of managing responsible custodianship of firearms than the US, I've already commentrd on our attitude to the issue down here.
I don't know what is "broken" up there that this approach is supposed to fix.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:54 AM

The vid recounts many of the same points we've seen used down here (ie "slippery slope"), and I think some intelligent public discussion is in order to clarify points and stances.
While it is true that many items can be purposed/ repurposed for neferious applications, outlawing rapid fire/ high capacity convertable tactical weaponry with no civilian application by definition doesn't seem any more unreasonable to me than banning claymore mines or other battlefield weaponry. Otherwise, the Canadian system seems far more thorough and responsible than ours.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:39 AM

Alberta has basically been shunned by our present government in regards to support from them.Alberta paid out more to the Federal Government and received way less after the price of crude drop.Quebec paid less but received way more which is where our Government's loyalties reside.I have a daughter,son and son in law that live in the Northern part of Ab.They are all employed,not like some parts of the Province.
Anyway the petition was presented by a fellow who lives in Alberta and sponsored by a Member of Parliament from the same Province.Alberta has also filed disputes with our Government over the proposed fire arm legislation.Plus,the right to protect your property.Rural Crime has been a big issue here.Google it and it will tell you what rights the Rural Property Owners have.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:12 AM

Similar to problems here and elsewhere, reasonable household defense is generally accepted as a right granted by local authority, tho our national constitution doesn't specify it as such. State and local laws generally regulate ownership and usage not covered by federal restrictions.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:28 PM

How is a shotgun not enough to protect your home?
Old 02-12-2020, 01:46 PM

If I were to attempt to protect my family or home and injure the assailant I would be charged.
It seems here the criminals have more rights
Old 02-12-2020, 04:16 PM

Is that a matter of standard Canadian legal procedure, or cynicism?