Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Finn, I have never said the Founders were infallible (of course not - I'm a Christian), and America is still exceptional, exceptional being:

Definition of EXCEPTIONAL
1: forming an exception : rare <an exceptional number of rainy days>
2: better than average : superior <exceptional skill>

both of them.

Once again, if there is ANY QUESTION the Feds have the authority they should be booted back to 'the people' to decide.

Noone, we have been exceptionally () good at making money, till recently. But money doesn't equal freedom....

Pete
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Once again, if there is ANY QUESTION the Feds have the authority they should be booted back to 'the people' to decide.
By definition, when something is accepted by the SCOTUS for review, it is within its authority. Besides, methinks you have a highly inflated view of the competencies of the American people to decide vexing constitutional issues.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Finn, I have never said the Founders were infallible (of course not - I'm a Christian), and America is still exceptional, exceptional being:

Definition of EXCEPTIONAL
1: forming an exception : rare <an exceptional number of rainy days>
2: better than average : superior <exceptional skill>

both of them.

Pete

And therin lies the problem, the total unwillingness of Americans to admit that other nations could possibly do anything right.

Admittedly the 1st and 2nd Amendments could have been expressed more clearly then perhaps we would not have justices equating corporations with people and fewer people would die each year. But then who in 1787 could have envisaged the modern corporation - although they did have the example of the East India Company, partially responsible for that dumbass tea party.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
And therin lies the problem, the total unwillingness of Americans to admit that other nations could possibly do anything right.

Admittedly the 1st and 2nd Amendments could have been expressed more clearly then perhaps we would not have justices equating corporations with people and fewer people would die each year. But then who in 1787 could have envisaged the modern corporation - although they did have the example of the East India Company, partially responsible for that dumbass tea party.
In the words of the moronic French, touché (but then again they have a different word for everything.)
Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Noone, we have been exceptionally () good at making money, till recently. But money doesn't equal freedom....

Pete
First, what Constitutional text are you relying upon to reach the conclusion that any question about federal authority must be resolved against it?

Interesting the see the line that "money doesn't equal freedom." It seems like the belief of the tea partiers and their instigators is that any financial obligations to the government are a deprivation of liberty, of that any restrictions on the use of property are a similar deprivation.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Area Man

Financial obligations to the government? I was recently told that "unhealthy people" are a financial burden, and therefore a ".....drag on conservatives who workout and take better care of our bodies." So, apparently if you become ill or injured in an accident, you are to consider yourself a burden to society and pay all of your medical bills out of pocket so as to avoid oppressing uber-healthy conservatives? This came from a twenty five year old. I asked him to get back with me on that when he turns sixty. Dumbass.

Dave
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Financial obligations to the government? I was recently told that "unhealthy people" are a financial burden, and therefore a ".....drag on conservatives who workout and take better care of our bodies." So, apparently if you become ill or injured in an accident, you are to consider yourself a burden to society and pay all of your medical bills out of pocket so as to avoid oppressing uber-healthy conservatives? This came from a twenty five year old. I asked him to get back with me on that when he turns sixty. Dumbass.

Dave
Ignorant people may be a greater financial burden.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:

Dave
Umm, has he looked at many of the GOP folks in congress, if lard was brains they would be geniuses, or is it genii.

With an intellect like that I doubt he will make it past 50.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Umm, has he looked at many of the GOP folks in congress, if lard was brains they would be geniuses, or is it genii.

With an intellect like that I doubt he will make it past 50.
Oh, I know. It was one of the most absurd things I have ever read. As if all conservatives are health nuts and body builders and all liberals are Cheeseburger eating alcoholic smokers with a body fat content of 75%? When one gets into discussions with folks from the far, far right, one learns just how paranoid and simpleminded they really are. It really can destroy your faith in humanity. I told this kid he should "go live with a troop of Baboons" if that was his mentality.

Dave
Old 09-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Oh, I know. It was one of the most absurd things I have ever read. As if all conservatives are health nuts and body builders and all liberals are Cheeseburger eating alcoholic smokers with a body fat content of 75%? When one gets into discussions with folks from the far, far right, one learns just how paranoid and simpleminded they really are. It really can destroy your faith in humanity. I told this kid he should "go live with a troop of Baboons" if that was his mentality.

Dave
You should tell him theat you know a left leaning conservative who is pushing 80 who does not take any prescription drugs.