Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
We trust(?) news agencies who tell us what's going on. They add their biases, cleverly edit content, etc, but basically it's pretty rare to have any stories checked for accuracy before they're presented to the public for their consumption. How can this be done?
Man oh man. Most here won't believe this, but that's simply not true. Facts are checked and bias is avoided by most. I'm not going to get into a huge discussion about it, but the Republican Party and FOX News have lied to you all. There is undoubted *some* small liberal bias in many outlets. Most journalists are well educated and live in big cities. So they tend to be like most people of that description- more liberally minded. I'm sure some of that creeps into their reporting. It really is impossible to be completely objective.

Having said that, it's a much, much, much smaller issue than FOX would have you believe. They've taken anecdotal evidence and used it to paint a picture that's not true. In reality, they created the idea of intentionally going into a story with a bias. No other major news provider does that. And by yelling so loudly that they're all liberal FOX has created a "chilling effect" in the industry.

It's a lot like you guys who complain that you can't say anything bad about Obama or you'll be branded a racist. Slip up for a second and say anything that's slightly biased to the left and the phones ring off the hook. Slip the other way, nothing. Not a peep. It's become almost impossible to be "fair and ballanced" because people are looking for a liberal bias. And you'll always find what you're looking for. But swing it the other way, no one cares. The result is you get more right leaning bias on the air than left. And journalists always have the "FOX effect" in the back of their minds.

And with all this the perception that there is liberal bias is stronger than ever. Grrrr. It's like lowering taxes to historically low levels only to be met by tea parties.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 10-02-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Man oh man. Most here won't believe this, but that's simply not true. Facts are checked and bias is avoided by most. I'm not going to get into a huge discussion about it, but the Republican Party and FOX News have lied to you all. There is undoubted *some* small liberal bias in many outlets. Most journalists are well educated and live in big cities. So they tend to be like most people of that description- more liberally minded. I'm sure some of that creaps into their reporting. It really is impossible to be completely objective.

Having said that, it's a much, much, much smaller issue than FOX would have you believe. They've taken anecdotal evidence and used it to paint a picture that's not true. In reality, they created the idea of intentionally going into a story with a bias. No other major news provider does that. And by yelling so loudly that they're all liberal FOX has created a "chilling effect" in the industry.

It's a lot like you guys who complain that you can't say anything bad about Obama or you'll be branded a racist. Slip up for a second and say anything that's slightly biased to the left and the phones ring off the hook. Slip the other way, nothing. Not a peep. It's become almost impossible to be "fair and ballanced" because people are looking for a liberal bias. And you'll always find what you're looking for. But swing it the other way, no one cares. The result is you get more right leaning bias on the air than left. And journalists always have the "FOX effect" in the back of their minds.

And with all this the perception that there is liberal bias is stronger than ever. Grrrr. It's like lowering taxes to historically low levels only to be met by tea parties.
Fox needs a cease and desist order from the attorney general.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Resident octogenarian

Interestingly we had guests from Canada yesterday and they stayed overnight. During the evening we were discussing the health care issue. They commented that they hear all the news (coverage of U.S. events is quite strong by CBC and CTV). I gathered that things have not changed since I left because they noted that the blatant lies about Single Payer was beginning to get damned annoying. They also found that the viscious back and forth in the political scene was somewhat frightening.

Sigh, how to piss off your friends.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 PM

An example of the "liberal media" spreading the conservative message:
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/...o-do-lies.html
Old 10-02-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Fox needs a cease and desist order from the attorney general.
I had you pegged from day one, this just confirms everything.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:27 PM

While both sides mislead, which is the same as lying in my book, I'm sure that Fox checks their facts as well as anyone. Even Beck, as wild eyed as he gets, will correct himself.

Let's not forget Rather and Ms Marples "Fake but accurate" story about Shrubs NG service record.

The "Fake but accurate" defense. There you go Noon, a couple of mugs who should be turning big rocks into little ones down at the Iron Bars Hotel.

And I'm not saying that of two wrongs a right becomes. I'm saying I don't like a manipulative liar. I while consider a lie from the opposition disgusting, I consider a lie from my side of the fence as a personal insult.

Chas
Old 10-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Let's not forget Rather and Ms Marples "Fake but accurate" story about Shrubs NG service record.
How could we forget it? It's cited again and again as the "proof" of liberal bias. One story by one guy is proof that the entire industry is crooked. Right. The things Beck has done are terrible. But we're supposed to forgive and forget. But Rather- who actually lost his job- keeps coming up again and again. I'll forgive Beck once he gets fired and has his reputation torn to shreads.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
An example of the "liberal media" spreading the conservative message:
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/...o-do-lies.html
No offense, but Nate Sliver comes across as just another parsing, full of shit partisan. Simply spinning a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Bring him back when he has something of interest to say.

Chas
Old 10-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
How could we forget it? It's cited again and again as the "proof" of liberal bias. One story by one guy is proof that the entire industry is crooked. Right. The things Beck has done are terrible. But we're supposed to forgive and forget. But Rather- who actually lost his job- keeps coming up again and again. I'll forgive Beck once he gets fired and has his reputation torn to shreads.
Don't hold your breath, but it will possibly happen. Besides, Beck does not present himself as "news", unlike Rather. I'm sure you will disagree on this point.

Besides, let's not forget the CBS story on exploding gas tanks, I think they were responsible for the buffalo hunt where the government penned them up and allowed deep pocket hunters to shoot them like fish in a barrel, while portraying all hunters as being this crass, it goes on and on.

This is nothing new. How did Randolph Hearst put it, "You furnish me with a story, and I'll furnish you with a war."

Don't get mad at me, I'll forgive a man of a mistake, but not of a lie. But if he keeps making mistakes, I'll fire him once and forever.

Chas
Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 PM

The thing with Beck is, he doesn't care if he gets fired, or shot, or loses everything that's dear to him. He is a patriot and has made a decision to make his life's work exposing corruption in government. Did you libs like him at all when he was tearing GW up when he was in office (and corrupt). Something changes in a man when he finds himself laying on the floor in a fetal position with a gun stuck in his mouth. I've been there, and I understand exactly where Beck is coming from. I'm not surprised though, that a lot of people "don't get it".