Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Area Man

I was once terribly racist. Grew up in a small town in rural Ohio that was 99% white and 1% whatever, I was told that I lived in a place that was nearly heaven----because of the aforementioned statistic.

Then I moved to the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Which is about 42% Black. It's a nice place to live. Plenty of jobs, growth, all sorts of activities year round. I love it here. I would never go back. Why?

Because when I go home I see that place for what it really is; A boring, run down, high unemployment, high crime, delapidated, and meth-lab ridden shithole.

But, hey. It's still 99% white, so it must be a wonderful place to live. Right?

No, I am no longer a racist.

Dave
Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Loyal Opposition

Racism is often also referred to as prejudice. What you experienced was overcoming prejudice with evidence. Your life in an economically vibrant and diverse community allowed you to learn that living with other races was not a bad thing. You didn't identify enough variables to determine whether there was a cause and effect relationship between the diversity and the economic well-being, but I am pre-disposed (prejudiced) toward that view. I am also pre-disposed to believe that diversity enhances the quality of life in non-economic ways as well.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Area Man

The point of my last post is that poverty is more of a factor than race is, when it comes down to the relationship between race/economy. If people have decent jobs, food in their bellies and a respectable place of domicile they are less likely to turn to crime. Make sense? And welfare checks won't cut it, because of the low self-esteem and "idle hands" factor.

The other eye-opening experience was 15 years ago. I got into an argument with a co-worker over a subject, that I didn't think (At the time.) a black man was even capable of understanding. This went on for some time until I suddenly realized that not only did he understand the subject, he had a better understanding of it than I did. He was right. I was the one who was making an ass of myself, refusing to admit my error, because---well, he just can't be smarter than me. This experience turned into a friendship that lasted for ten years. To this day I regard him as one of the smartest people I have ever met.

When I think of all of the talent that must have been wasted in this country for so many years....................What a terrible tragedy.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-19-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 AM
Area Man

Look, Guys. I realize this thread was started with what was meant to be a humourous post. I have no problem with that. But I see that lately, especially with the election won by Obama, that some ugly things have been stirred up.
Now, I know that a lot of folks simply don't agree with his policies and agenda. And I respect that. But, I am also enough of a realist to know that
for all to many people, it wouldn't matter what he does, they will oppose him to the bitter end. And it IS because seeing a non-white in the Whitehouse pisses them off. And you all damn well know it's true.

Dave
Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Resident octogenarian

You won't get an argument frrom me.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Me either.

You will if you start with the hes acting in our best interests.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I am also enough of a realist to know that
for all to many people, it wouldn't matter what he does, they will oppose him to the bitter end. And it IS because seeing a non-white in the Whitehouse pisses them off. And you all damn well know it's true.

Dave
Present
Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Present
LOL

another excellent post

thanks