Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Well, you'll call me a left wing nut for this, but I have a simpler flow chart-

Are you a white person born in the United States? Yes? You're a racist. I know how corny that sounds, but I do think it's true. I've read about some interesting experiments that have lead me to the conclusion that it's all but impossible to grow up in the U. S. and not have some racism in your make up.

I'll admit it. Can't fix what you don't acknowledge. I remember when I was, oh, 23 or so. My car was broken into. They took my stereo and my cassettes. I remember saying to my girlfriend (now wife) "I get them taking my stereo, but why did they take my tapes?" Almost immediately I realized what I meant by that. "Why would a black kid want my alternative music?"

I assumed:

1. It had to be a black kid

2. No black kid would ever listen to alternative music.

Here's the thing- it probably was a black kid and he probably didn't listen to alternative music. Doesn't change anything. I don't *know* it was a black kid and I don't *know* what kind of music he listened to. I also don't know what his upbringing was like or where he lived or what he did with the money he got from steeling my stereo. I assume I know all those things. But I don't.

And an assumption is a judgment. A judgment made before knowing the facts. A prejudgment. And that's prejudice. And that's racism.

It was eye opening for a liberal kid who was just sure he wasn't a racist. And the first step toward being less of one.

Take care,

Ed
Perhaps what you really are is a statistician??

As to the basic question, yes I am. May as well say yes, cause no one is going to believe otherwise. National guilt!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:41 AM

"National Guilt..." Yeah, how 'bout THAT one...How DARE the liberals & black establishment try to lay on me stuff that happened 50, 75 years before I was born ?!? By people I never even met, have NO connection to whatsoever ? Sandy is responsible ONLY for what Sandy says & does...And screw you, Jack, if you try to assume otherwise....I'm very sorry for what happened to the blacks, Native Americans, Jews, Zoroastrians, whoever...But I came along in 1957, no way could I have helped stop what happened in 1910...That is just falling back on the oldest, & I think most oppressive wrong-headed strategy in the book-Making EVERYBODY pay for the actions of a few. If you follow THAT line of reasoning, then we oughta bomb EVERY place where they wear towels on their heads, & worship Allah, for 9/11.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well, I like most dogs better than I like most people...does that make me a racist, or just an asshole?

Chas
i don't think that liking dogs is what made you a racist asshole.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
i don't think that liking dogs is what made you a racist asshole.

I love you too.

Chas
Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Loyal Opposition

Racism is not the sole province of the whites. It is human nature to try to protect one's turf, and where advantages flow with skin pigmentation, try to keep those advantages. Lighter skin pigmentation has generally been an economic advantage, and many have wanted to keep it that way. Demonizing those outside of the group is one way to gain allies and force. However, humans are capable of learning, and we have learned over the years that people of all racial characteristics are more likely to have things in common than not. Different circumstances and backgrounds cause attitudes to develop in different ways, but an effort to overcome the attitudes and understand the similarities reduces tension.

Racial attitudes in general have improved during my lifetime. I remember my junior high becoming intergrated, and that was my first opportunity to spend any real time with someone of another race. It was a growing experience.

The following was a proud moment, but also a realization that progress has been made. During the '08 campaign, I was visiting with my son, who would have his first opportunity to vote in a presidential election. I mentioned to him that because of the shape of the economy and other issues, the election would have been out of reach if Obama had been white. His response was "You're kidding." He did not see race as an issue in his daily life, although the university campus contains a broad mix of nationalities and ethnic groups. He's also a bright kid (doesn't every parent see their child that way?), so I don't think he was being that naieve(where's spell-check here). Racial divisions are just not a large part of his experience.

I do have hope for the future.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I mentioned to him that because of the shape of the economy and other issues, the election would have been out of reach if Obama had been white.
What do you mean?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
What do you mean?
That Obama's race likely cost him some points in the polls. No republican candidate should have stood a chance in '08. Actually, McCain was the one who I was most wary of, because he at least had some centrist credentials.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
That Obama's race likely cost him some points in the polls. No republican candidate should have stood a chance in '08. Actually, McCain was the one who I was most wary of, because he at least had some centrist credentials.

Regards,

D-Ray
Got it. Yes I agree.

I will tell you that I had a similar experience with my son. I spoke to the racism issue with him and he flat out did not understand it (he is 27). I think that is a good thing.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Racism is not the sole province of the whites. It is human nature to try to protect one's turf, and where advantages flow with skin pigmentation, try to keep those advantages. Lighter skin pigmentation has generally been an economic advantage, and many have wanted to keep it that way. Demonizing those outside of the group is one way to gain allies and force. However, humans are capable of learning, and we have learned over the years that people of all racial characteristics are more likely to have things in common than not. Different circumstances and backgrounds cause attitudes to develop in different ways, but an effort to overcome the attitudes and understand the similarities reduces tension.

Racial attitudes in general have improved during my lifetime. I remember my junior high becoming intergrated, and that was my first opportunity to spend any real time with someone of another race. It was a growing experience.

The following was a proud moment, but also a realization that progress has been made. During the '08 campaign, I was visiting with my son, who would have his first opportunity to vote in a presidential election. I mentioned to him that because of the shape of the economy and other issues, the election would have been out of reach if Obama had been white. His response was "You're kidding." He did not see race as an issue in his daily life, although the university campus contains a broad mix of nationalities and ethnic groups. He's also a bright kid (doesn't every parent see their child that way?), so I don't think he was being that naieve(where's spell-check here). Racial divisions are just not a large part of his experience.

I do have hope for the future.

Regards,

D-Ray
No offense, but Obama would have never gone to Harvard, or ran for president if he were white. He would have been just another white schmuck.

Chas
Old 10-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No offense, but Obama would have never gone to Harvard, or ran for president if he were white. He would have been just another white schmuck.

Chas
I sort of agree.

I'd just reword it to say that his being black was a benefit as it was to his wife.
I still don't understand why no one talks about Michelle's racist attitudes.