Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Administrator

I caught a little blurb on the news last night, yes there was a 2 sec blurb not about MJ or kissing OB's ass, on how 16% of Canadians come to the US for cancer treatment due to over an 8 week wait for chemo. This little bit of info came from an ex clinton advisor.

Is they're nationalize HC system perfect ? No and neither is ours but something is seriously wrong with that..
Old 07-03-2009, 02:01 PM

I've heard several similar stories, even on simple injuries requiring MRIs and such. So, if they have hard working, contributing members of their society, waiting up to a year for MRIs, how can our system be worse. I guarantee you that if an illegal Mexican fell off a roof in my county today, he would get the MRI before the sun went down. That's even though, he never has , nor ever will pay one red cent of income tax to this country. In short, a hospital in Canada can turn you away, and a hospital in the USA can't.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I've heard several similar stories, even on simple injuries requiring MRIs and such. So, if they have hard working, contributing members of their society, waiting up to a year for MRIs, how can our system be worse. I guarantee you that if an illegal Mexican fell off a roof in my county today, he would get the MRI before the sun went down. That's even though, he never has , nor ever will pay one red cent of income tax to this country. In short, a hospital in Canada can turn you away, and a hospital in the USA can't.
It seems to me we are confusing two different issues.
Immigration and illegal aliens in the US is one problem,
Americans not having health care is another.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:20 PM

insert American with no health care in for illegal Mexican. It still works the same way.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

Here we go again with the "accounts" of Canadians coming here fro treatment, guess that AMA looby is working overtime.

True story; my niece had a rare type of cancer for which there was no treatment center in Canada so they sent her to Cleveland at Canada's expense. Canadians are by and large healthier than Americans and some forms of illness simply do not justify the expense of having beds and staff just in case.

There has been a problem in Ontario and British Columbia, Ontario due to the Reform party and BC due to the Social Credit party, both a couple of Republican wannabees. They wanted the Single Payer plan to cover their hospitals, forgetting totally that Single Payer is a health insurance plan and they no more cover tose costa than does US Healthcare or Aetna, et. al.

When the folks in those two provinces wake up and change their government they will be better off. It was fine in Ontario when the Big Blue machine was running things.

Oh BTW, Blue in Canada is for Conservatives, red is for Liberals, sort of the reverse of here.

So who would you rather have running health care, some civil servant that you can fire and who only makes $150,000 a year, or some grossly overpaid CEO who is more interested in profit than your health and who even his shareholders can't fire.

Last edited by merrylander; 07-04-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
So who would you rather have running health care, some civil servant that you can fire and who only makes $150,000 a year, or some grossly overpaid CEO who is more interested in profit than your health and who even his shareholders can't fire.
I think grossly overpaid CEO's and politicians are one in the same. Hate to say it but I see no way to make a nationalized heath care system work well and for the people of the US. Someone be it the gov or private industry will sock it too us one way or another.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Resident octogenarian

They already are, another of my wife's prescriptions just jumped $9.99 in one month.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Of course Obama's popularity is slipping. It barely had anywhere to go but down.
I know so many people who projected so many of their own hopes and values on the guy that of course he's going to let people down. I don't see a story here.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Did I want to see the guy walk on water ? We all wanted what we feel is better for our country. Unfortunately whats better for some aint for others.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett A View Post
Of course Obama's popularity is slipping. It barely had anywhere to go but down.
I know so many people who projected so many of their own hopes and values on the guy that of course he's going to let people down. I don't see a story here.
I still remember seeing a video clip on television soon after the election, where some black woman was saying that now that Obama was elected, she wasn't going to have any more troubles with her mortgage or paying for gas for her car.

I just stared at the screen, wondering how on earth people can be so stupid. I'd love to know who told her this, and how she's faring today.