Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2023, 11:10 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
1) Smith was hired to prosecute, so he's prosecuting. Smith's case relies heavily on the assertion that "Trump knew it was a lie". I seriously doubt that assertion. I think Trump has been pretty clear that he believes the election process was flawed and his story hasn't changed, and there are myriad statements in the public record where he has made it clear what he believes.
There is considerable evidence that Trump was told, by those in the know (and responsible for investigating any such allegations), that he lost. Also, there is sworn testimony that he stated that he knew he lost. Furthermore, he lost ~60 court cases that explored his allegations.

Quote:
2) Please tell me which current of former US presidents are "languishing in jail"?
He made no such assertion. There are plenty of people in jail for doing far less with classified materials and obstructing their recovery.

Quote:
You guys need to notice a key element to these charges, particularly as some loons on the left want to try to invoke the 14th Amendment to keep Trump off the ballot:
There is no evidence, despite nearly three years of investigation, that Trump conspired with groups or individuals who assaulted attacked Capitol. He did not incite a riot or an insurrection, though his statements got some folks fired up...
Judge Luttig and Professor Tribe are hardly "loons on the left." Read their position on this matter here. Also, a Republican election lawyer with ties to three of former president Donald Trump’s GOP primary opponents has joined a crowded field of individuals and groups exploring whether the former president can be kept off the ballot for his role in fomenting the violent attack on the U.S. Capitol.

The 14th Amendment also cites "providing aid or comfort" to the insurrection which it appears he has done (and continues to do). The more salient point is that the 14th Amendment establishes a qualification for federal office, not a punishment. Therefore, a guilty verdict is not a prerequisite. What is a prerequisite is a 2/3 vote of Congress to put him on the ballot.

Quote:
Fanni Willis has constructed a sprawling case that will hinge on proving that there was a criminal organization or enterprise under the state's RICO laws. That really was her only chargeable option, and she'll need to prove that there was this (fictional) organization in court. I think this is far from easy for the protection.

But all that really isn't the point. The point is the indictments and their impact in the political arena...
The Trump presidential campaign in Georgia was not a fictional organization. And no, it was not her only charging option. Indeed, all 19 defendants were charged with specific crimes in addition to the RICO charge.

For a guy who just finished insisting that he neither a Trump supporter nor defender, you sure seem willing to grasp at straws to defend Trump's attempt to steal the election (while destroying the lives of hundreds of people in the process). My good faith willingness to accept your denial of being a Trump supporter and/or defender has now lasted less than 24 hours. Accordingly, IMO you are again the reflexive Trump defender that I've always claimed you were.

In any event, you should be proud that Vladimir Putin agrees with you. He recently stated, "“What’s happening with Trump is a persecution of a political rival for political motives. This shows the whole rottenness of the American political system, which cannot claim to teach others about democracy.” Congratulations.

https://www.wsj.com/world/russia/put...ution-1736c591

Last edited by finnbow; 09-12-2023 at 05:34 PM.