Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
What happened last night is a sad shame. My heart goes out to every family. God Bless those people.

But, don't let that fool give you a mental image of gun owners in general.

I remember after a couple escaped jail in MO, (and one had killed a state trooper before), they headed though my neck of the woods. I do believe after a couple day chase through the woods with the cops doing their best to nab the last one on the run, .. it was just an average hillbilly that caught the guy, called the law and held him at gunpoint until the law came to remove him. Liberals get out of the way, others put their self in harms way to protect the innocent from further harm... but get no thanks. Don't damn every gun owner, if every gun owner had killing on his mind then the guy in my post woulda killed the escaped convict that was warned to our community as armed and dangerous soon as he walked up the steps to his mothers house in the woods. It ended well.
Good for him, and there is truth in your post.

However, there is no comparison between your story and what happened in Colorado.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Good for him, and there is truth in your post.

However, there is no comparison between your story and what happened in Colorado.
Agree. The nut in CO gave no warning, and the news said he had never been in any trouble before. The innocent never knew they were in danger until it was to late, ( even though that nut had to have planned it over time according to the story ). Very sad.

Last edited by hillbilly; 07-20-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
What happened last night is a sad shame. My heart goes out to every family. God Bless those people.

I remember after a couple escaped jail in MO, (and one had killed a state trooper before), they headed though my neck of the woods. I do believe after a couple day chase through the woods with the cops doing their best to nab the last one on the run, .. it was just an average hillbilly that caught the guy, called the law and held him at gunpoint until the law came to remove him. Liberals get out of the way, others put their self in harms way to protect the innocent from further harm... but get no thanks. Don't damn every gun owner, if every gun owner had killing on his mind then the guy in my post woulda killed the escaped convict that was warned to our community as armed and dangerous soon as he walked up the steps to his mothers house in the woods. It ended well.
Under no circumstances do I condemn anyone for owning a firearm nor do I think less of the individual if they do own one. My beef is with one of the strongest lobbies in the country who won't even permit an intelligent discussion about firearms or about fresh appraoches to dealing with gun-related violence. I have every confidence that Wayne LaPierre is as we speak recording a message to the NRA membership that will be used after a 'cooling off' period to incite that very membership.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:

I don't damn any gun owners, I damn the guns.

We all know people will be people and the more people that own guns the more innocent and avoidable death we will have.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Another nut kills several (15?) in Colorado. Damn!
And we as a society have laws that allowed this nut to buy his guns legally at Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops.
http://liveblog.washingtonpost.com/2...log-entry-2061

Quote:
With all due respect, such platitudes are a cop-out and will do nothing to solve the issues of gun violence in our country. At least NYC Mayor Bloomberg had the balls to say something other than the platitudes offered by nearly every other active politician in this country:

“You know, soothing words are nice, but maybe it’s time that the two people who want to be president of the United States stand up and tell us what they are going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country.... I mean, there are so many murders with guns every day, it’s just got to stop. No matter where you stand on the Second Amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them concretely, not just in generalities — specifically what are they going to do about guns?” He said gun violence is “killing people every day, and it’s growing, and it’s not just an inner-city, East Coast, West Coast, big city phenomenon. Aurora is not a big city.”

Last edited by finnbow; 07-20-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
Under no circumstances do I condemn anyone for owning a firearm nor do I think less of the individual if they do own one. My beef is with one of the strongest lobbies in the country who won't even permit an intelligent discussion about firearms or about fresh appraoches to dealing with gun-related violence. I have every confidence that Wayne LaPierre is as we speak recording a message to the NRA membership that will be used after a 'cooling off' period to incite that very membership.
That's pretty much how I see it.

Already, on FaceBook this morning, one of my family members, a nephew, is circulating a post that says;

"I believe every American has the right to as many of the biggest, baddest guns as he wants!!"

Not a single word about condolences for the families, sadness or outrage about the shootings, just the above insensitive, reactionary and defensive statement.

And, guys like him can't understand why so many people don't like them.................

Dave
Old 07-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I don't damn any gun owners, I damn the guns.
I damn some gun owners, perhaps more than most, but I am dispassionate about it.

If shovels indiscriminately killed people I'd want shovels regulated.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 PM

Guns don' kill people. People with guns kill people. I am sure the asshole passed the wait period with flying colors.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Guns don' kill people. People with guns kill people.
Which part of this equation is actionable? The easy availability of guns.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 PM

It's just a terrible tragedy and I would glady surrender all my guns if it would
save even one life. I have to question whether or not the media should give
it this much national coverage. Every nut case and wack job in the country
has been watching this all day and I wonder whether or not the bar
shooting in Tuscaloosa this week may have helped push this psyco over the
edge?