Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:24 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Mebbe it's time for some folks to quit rubbing slavery in the face of their descendents so they can feel superior to someone else and justified in a war defending a despicable practice.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
And, there it is.

Dave
Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Union Artillery was clearly superior.
Firing on Ft Sumpter was clearly a miscalculation of probabilities and Lincolns Unionist determination tho some still insist on referring to it as "the war of Northern agression".

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2014, 11:31 PM

you guys have not met Chas yet

he seems to find positive things about the old south
Old 08-02-2014, 05:50 AM
Ready

It's amazing how powerful stories are. Slavery and the war over it are 150 years in the past, but folks are completely ready to get fussed and shitty over the story to be told about it.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Jigsawed

However there is no denying despite 150 years, there is a strong oral
history influencing this behavior.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Ready

That's what I said. Oral history = stories. I was just marveling at the 'strongness' you mention.

It's a matter of identity, I suppose. People often get very defensive about their identity, and are willing to believe and say odd things to support it. Others will feel motivated to attack the oddness, since it's always fun to kick around the the people OUR stories say are wrong. And so it goes.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 AM

Slavery and an economic system that valued people based on the color of their skin was wrong, and still is wrong.

That confederate flag was a war flag from its inception, and to me anyone who flies it proudly represents a war status and actively supports secession against the Union(still.)

If these people are so set on celebrating their heritage, let them fly their 1861 state flag, or the first Confederate States flag, and not the war flag. The war flag has a completely different set of meanings, and none of them are well received by Northerners, or descendants of former slaves.

http://www.anyflag.com/history/confeder.htm

Last edited by sheltiedave; 08-02-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
Slavery and an economic system that valued people based on the color of their skin was wrong, and still is wrong.

That confederate flag was a war flag from its inception, and to me anyone who flies it proudly represents a war status and actively supports secession against the Union(still.)

If these people are so set on celebrating their heritage, let them fly their 1861 state flag, or the first Confederate States flag, and not the war flag. The war flag has a completely different set of meanings, and none of them are well received by Northerners, or descendants of former slaves.

http://www.anyflag.com/history/confeder.htm
There is some logic to what you say, but you can't beat stories with logic. The fact that the battle flag offends who it offends is one of the things these guys really like about it.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
That's what I said. Oral history = stories. I was just marveling at the 'strongness' you mention.
For instance some see Sherman as the devil incarnate and have an ingrain antipathy for people they view as yankee.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
For instance some see Sherman as the devil incarnate and have an ingrain antipathy for people they view as yankee.
So the stories teach. Apparently people have the ability to pass down such emotion for many generations. It creates what are called 'hereditary enemies,' though it's inherited verbally, not biologically.