Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 PM

USSC delays Chrysler sale

Well, I'll be damned. And Justice Ginsberg, no less.

Does this mean that the rule of the law still exists in this country?

Chas
Old 06-10-2009, 05:09 PM

USSC/Chrysler

What you been smokin' Chas?

Ain't no rule of law in this country, ain't been for a long time. And they ain't no Tooth Fairy either, you damned idiot.

Damn, things are slow around here...I'm reduced to responding to my own thread. Don't everyone jump in at once,

Chas
Old 06-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Well, they let it go thru. Walter P. is prolly spinnin' in his grave...Actually, it makes more sense than the ill-starred marriage w/Daimler Benz a few years back..BTW, one of the car mags I read sez both Mercedes & BMW are in trouble..They've about tapped the limits of the luxury-car market, & need to develop-badly- cheaper cars to survive long term. I don't know if I agree whole-heartedly; One only needs to look at Packard and/or LaSalle to see that cheapening the brand often leads to disaster.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 PM

Chrysler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Well, they let it go thru. Walter P. is prolly spinnin' in his grave...Actually, it makes more sense than the ill-starred marriage w/Daimler Benz a few years back..BTW, one of the car mags I read sez both Mercedes & BMW are in trouble..They've about tapped the limits of the luxury-car market, & need to develop-badly- cheaper cars to survive long term. I don't know if I agree whole-heartedly; One only needs to look at Packard and/or LaSalle to see that cheapening the brand often leads to disaster.
I've been reading that Fiat is fairly strong, owns all of those high dollar Eyetie brands that I've never seen a living example of, and for sure can't spell.

My concern was the bondholders. They had 1st mortgage on Chrysler's bones, and were pushed to the back of the line behind the Government and the UAW.

Russia pulled the same stunt about a year or so ago. Can't remember what industry they seized, but the investors started pulling their money out of the Russian market...would you want to invest in a country where the government can seize your assets at any time by decree?

I fear that actions of this nature will not bode well for an economic recovery.

Chas

PS: Have I offended any of our our Eyetie cousins...I would like to apologize. Ess joke, laff, laff. Just call me a peckerwood, and don't get your panties in a wad.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Well, I guess it's a done deal now. Chrysler can start making clown cars now I reckon. I've always had a deep love for American automobiles and it really hurts to see this happening to the great ones like Dodge and GM. It seemed to me that Chrysler and Pontiac were really making some nice cars as of late. It's just a damn shame, that's all.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 PM

I dunno; When gas hits $4,$5 again, they might make a killin' selling stuff like the 500 over here. Clarkson & Co. liked it pretty well, IIRC. But I wonder if "Clown Cars" really ever will sell over here...Not as long as there's Adam Hotels like me who insist on driving things like The Mighty Valdez...There used to be when I was a kid, a reasonable population of 600s here, they were hampered by a small dealer network, only in the larger towns. I think Fiats hung together a bit better than Renaults did, but that ain't sayin' a whole helluva lot...If you REALLY wanna test somethin', bring it to East Tennessee. We're BAD rough on stuff, take it personally if we can't tear up an anvil...
Old 06-11-2009, 05:59 AM

Sandy, you must have our road crews cousins down there then.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:25 AM

"Drive it like you Stole it" is pretty much a credo down here...There's a reason WHY movies & shows like "The Dukes of Hazard", "Macon County Line", "Gator", etc invariably ALL take place in the South...And, YES, Virginia, there IS a "Hazard County", its over in Kentucky, they do a lot of moonshining & coal mining there...
Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Resident octogenarian

You can also thank all those folks who kept up the "Well I had a 78 Chevy and it sucked, so Ill never buy another one." Never mind that JD Power is giving Chev and Buick acollades for the new models, keep on buying those imports.

Back when I was still among the employed I figured that some auto worker probably bought what I was building, but the only furriners who bought were in Europe, not in Asia, so I figured why should I buy their stuff. There are two pretty His and Hers 2000 Impala LSs in the garage, fully loaded, and they get over 29MPG on the highway, try that with an Avalon - assuming it can get out of its own way.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Southern Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
"Drive it like you Stole it" is pretty much a credo down here...There's a reason WHY movies & shows like "The Dukes of Hazard", "Macon County Line", "Gator", etc invariably ALL take place in the South...And, YES, Virginia, there IS a "Hazard County", its over in Kentucky, they do a lot of moonshining & coal mining there...
I was always a "Thunder Road" kind of guy.

Chas