Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Ready

Franken Resignation Demanded

A number of Democratic senators have now called on Al Franken to resign from office, due to allegations of sexual harassment. I disagree with this position, because the allegations do not seem serious enough to me, given when they occurred.

What is alleged is, basically, some instances of 'copping a feel,' or being somewhat too kissy. Now if he was alleged to have been acting like this last week, that would indicate compulsion and very poor judgement, and insensitivity to evolving norms. But all this is said to have predated his political career.

If there were allegations of genital contact, or any attempt to coerce actual sex, that would be very serious. But the things talked about, to me, do not rise to the same level. Men should learn the rules are tighter going forward, but their full force should not be applied ex post facto.

Absent a showing of more serious and pervasive sexual victimization that I've heard of so far, Franken should be allowed to perform acts of contrition short of resignation.

Last edited by donquixote99; 12-06-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:44 PM

I agree, but afraid that he may be swept up by the anti-harassment wave. If this is instigated as way to prevent Moore from gaining a Senate seat, good luck. Bannon and Trump are whipping the GOP base into a frenzy.

In fact they may claim that they need a Moore to out a Franken and the Dotard's will believe them.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Banned

When Donald resigns, when Moore drops out, and when Clarence The Mute is grown off the Supreme Court, then Franken can resign.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
When Donald resigns, when Moore drops out, and when Clarence The Mute is grown off the Supreme Court, then Franken can resign.
Another 'Clinton' window. The Republicans love this.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Truth.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Another 'Clinton' window.
WTF are you talking about? I prefer Pella windows. Republicans love all sorts of tripe.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
WTF are you talking about? I prefer Pella windows. Republicans love all sorts of tripe.
The 'Clinton window' through which the Republicans climb.

Last edited by Dondilion; 12-06-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:06 PM

In regards to Franken, maybe we do like what they say for Moore.... let the voters decide. Not that he is up for election right now.... but there should be a way to poll the voters to see what they think.

Personally, I think anyone who has sexually harassed or assaulted should resign regardless of party.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
A number of Democratic senators have now called on Al Franken to resign from office, due to allegations of sexual harassment. I disagree with this position, because the allegations do not seem serious enough to me, given when they occurred.

What is alleged is, basically, some instances of 'copping a feel,' or being somewhat too kissy. Now if he was alleged to have been acting like this last week, that would indicate compulsion and very poor judgement, and insensitivity to evolving norms. But all this is said to have predated his political career.

If there were allegations of genital contact, or any attempt to coerce actual sex, that would be very serious. But the things talked about, to me, do not rise to the same level. Men should learn the rules are tighter going forward, but their full force should not be applied ex post facto

Absent a showing of more serious and pervasive sexual victimization that I've heard of so far, Franken should be allowed to perform acts of contrition short of resignation.
The ladies are serious. And this time they have enough say to make "cop a feel" retroactive.

BTW Franken in the latest installation said that it was his right as an entertainer.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...nt-2006-281049

Last edited by Dondilion; 12-06-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
The ladies are serious. And this time they have enough say to make "cop a feel" retroactive.

BTW Franken in the latest installation said that it was his right as an entertainer.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...nt-2006-281049
Fake news, really.