Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:09 PM

I did not see anything about why he wasn't spread on the floor and handcuffed instead of murdered. Anybody?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It is not even illegal to 'have a long gun.' And this happened back in Jan 2016, long before the attack in Las Vegas you are thinking of, so Las Vegas freakout is not an excuse. Absent actual observed lawbreaking, they were out-of-line, imho.

He was trying to comply as best he could.

What would have been so bad about getting him spread-eagled and motionless, and then going to him? Why this 'crawl to me' domination ritual? Cop mentality looks like a sickness, I kid you not.

Putting Las Vegas aside, I think there have been plenty of incidences of violence that would make any officer be on high alert when told he is approaching a person with a gun
Besides, I was not referring to Las Vegas specifically, but rather all the recent violent gun incidents collectively.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Ready

Do not call him a person with a gun. He was not a person with a gun. He was a person suspected of possibly having a gun. His pellet gun, the reported long gun, was obviously not with him in the hallway.

Last edited by donquixote99; 12-10-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Do not call him a person with a gun. He was not a person with a gun. He was a person suspected of possibly having a gun. His pellet gun, the reported long gun, was obviously not with him in the hallway.

It was reported to the police that there was a man with a gun in a window.
That was the information law enforcement was operating on. They did not know what kind of gun or if the person still had the gun on him when they arrived. They responded according to procedure and the officer that fired the fatal shots was found not guilty.
You have every right to disagree with the procedure and laws that led to this outcome. You also have every right to work to change those procedures and laws if you feel so passionately about it.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Ready

The news story I linked to in message one speaks of a report of a man pointing a rifle out a hotel window. I would hope the police would have that much information. I don't say there's no reason for suspicion that he had another gun, I sure the situation demanded it. I just say that any gun besides the rife is nonetheless only a suspected gun.

I could be much more critical of the police procedure that I have been, I assure you. I actually think the procedure recorded in the video may have been designed to maximize opportunity for police to legally shoot suspects. It is needlessly provocative and humiliating, and further, it provides much scope for events to occur by mistake that the police can say were threatening.

My contributions here are a small way of doing just what you suggest--mobilizing support for change through the political process. I know with you personally, my opposition only increases your commitment to your position, that's in general how people are. But I most hope some number of readers are encouraged or even increased in their desire for reform in this area.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The news story I linked to in message one speaks of a report of a man pointing a rifle out a hotel window. I would hope the police would have that much information. I don't say there's no reason for suspicion that he had another gun, I sure the situation demanded it. I just say that any gun besides the rife is nonetheless only a suspected gun.

I could be much more critical of the police procedure that I have been, I assure you. I actually think the procedure recorded in the video may have been designed to maximize opportunity for police to legally shoot suspects. It is needlessly provocative and humiliating, and further, it provides much scope for events to occur by mistake that the police can say were threatening.

My contributions here are a small way of doing just what you suggest--mobilizing support for change through the political process. I know with you personally, my opposition only increases your commitment to your position, that's in general how people are. But I most hope some number of readers are encouraged or even increased in their desire for reform in this area.

So, how does posting here change the laws and procedures?
I do not see how that could be effective or efficient.
Have you thought about really dong something.... like working with a group to actively advocate for change? Have you attended public hearings prior to legislation to voice your opinion?
Posting here is fine, but from what I see this is a small group of individuals who already have set opinions and who do not implement laws or procedures.
My point is.... I respect your opinion, and I support your right to discuss it and stand behind it, but I also encourage you to actually do something substantial about it if you feel that passionately about it.