Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Of course those ads were utterly cynical bullshit. Wiki-up clear cutting to start.

I would like to see Georgia Pacific and their compadres be required to mitigate the damage that they've done on public lands back to the date of their incorporation or whenever they started harvesting publically owned timber.
I looked at wiki.

The clearcutters argue that they are providing a benefit. Now that forest management is improved there are fewer forest fires that make natural clearings for wildlife. Clear cutting replaces the goodness of forest fires.

They also say that clear cutting is no more harmful than tornadoes or landslides.

Beat that, greanie beanie.

Convince Republican voters to bear down on their job creators. That's the nature of politics.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
I looked at wiki.

The clearcutters argue that they are providing a benefit. Now that forest management is improved there are fewer forest fires that make natural clearings for wildlife. Clear cutting replaces the goodness of forest fires.

They also say that clear cutting is no more harmful than tornadoes or landslides.

Beat that, greanie beanie.

Convince Republican voters to bear down on their job creators. That's the nature of politics.
Tort, my redneckian friend.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:56 PM

You have to sell your position. Simply sending people to wiki won't work. Wiki is the neutral ground that both parties write. You have to sell beyond that by saying things that 1) appeal to common sense and 2) have never been written before.

Don't go plagiarist on us now. That would be ironic and mess will come back to taunt you like a French knight, you kanigget.

http://youtu.be/A8yjNbcKkNY
Old 11-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Admin

Quote:
You have to sell your position. Simply sending people to wiki won't work. Wiki is the neutral ground that both parties write. You have to sell beyond that by saying things that 1) appeal to common sense and 2) have never been written before.

Don't go plagiarist on us now. That would be ironic and mess will come back to taunt you like a French knight, you kanigget.

http://youtu.be/A8yjNbcKkNY

Dang! I certainly thought my "tort" response was about as succinct as a non-barrister could be...
Old 11-23-2012, 05:15 PM

What did you mean with "tort"? It went over my head so I ignored it.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Admin

Redress of damages is how I meant it. No French in my tree, mostly knot headed krauts.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Redress of damages is how I meant it. No French in my tree, mostly knot headed krauts.

OK. I understand now.

How were you damaged? You asked for a corporation to replant federal land. You do not own that land, do you?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Admin

Quote:
OK. I understand now.

How were you damaged? You asked for a corporation to replant federal land. You do not own that land, do you?
It's more along the lines of a demand. Asking corporations and others to use public resources responsibly is a fools errand. As a citizen I happen to believe that indeed I am a partial owner and have a stake in it. Legal fictions, aside.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
It's more along the lines of a demand. Asking corporations and others to use public resources responsibly is a fools errand. As a citizen I happen to believe that indeed I am a partial owner and have a stake in it. Legal fictions, aside.
That's great. Rednecks feel the same. A lot of them cried when the Gulf disaster happened. A lot of rednecks in Michigan are angry about invasive species messing up the fishing grounds that they love.

Liberals and rednecks might have something in common, e.g. a love of nature. Maybe liberal voters and redneck voters would do good to remind each other about a thing called the "tragedy of the commons".
Old 11-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
That's great. Rednecks feel the same. A lot of them cried when the Gulf disaster happened. A lot of rednecks in Michigan are angry about invasive species messing up the fishing grounds that they love.

Liberals and rednecks might have something in common, e.g. a love of nature. Maybe liberal voters and redneck voters would do good to remind each other about a thing called the "tragedy of the commons".
Liberals are already on board with that. Rednecks, on the other hand - let's call them teabaggers - have been propagandized to believe that any talk of the commons is "creeping soci@lism". Moreover, they have a dominionist's view of exploiting nature that would set them squarely against most efforts to preserve the commons through regulation and/or prohibitions of use. Their attitudes and their behavior are precisely the "tragedy" to which you refer.

John