Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Now he has one more thing in common with Carter.
Don't forget Yasser Arafat.

Chas
Old 10-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Just be glad the the world once again is looking to America with aspirational eyes.
That is how a "real American" would react.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 AM

He's got some nerve. Can't hardly open his mouth witout saying "they ought to give me the Nobel Prize." He's always on about it. Been campaigning for it since before he got elected. Some nerve I tell you. Every speach "Nobel this and Nobel that". He should be kicked out of office for this stunt. Winning the Nobel Prize. Didn't see Bush pulling that shit.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:17 AM

Almost forgot, Al Gore won it too. And he knocked off some tough competition.

http://www.merlinsilk.com/2009/09/04...ler-v-al-gore/

Color me less than impressed, but you already knew that, didn't you.

Chas
Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
You know, I get it and all. But why is everyone blaming him? You ask and I agree "what did he do to win this?" But I ask "what did he do to make you so mad?" Be mad at the Nobel folks, I guess, if you have to be mad at someone. But don't be mad at Obama.

Or better yet. Just be glad the the world once again is looking to America with aspirational eyes.

I just hope it wont be an albatross around his neck. Difficult to understand how sending more troops to Afghanistan will affect a "Nobel PEACE Prize Winner."
Just saying. Will this strengthen or weaken future decisions?

Last edited by painter; 10-09-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
I just hope it wont be an albatross around his neck. Difficult to understand how sending more troops to Afghanistan will affect a "Nobel PEACE Prize Winner."
Just saying. Will this strengthen or weaken future decisions?
I thought about Afghanistan too. I think that ship has sailed and he's just working on how to break it to folks. We're sending more troops. Like it or not. This sure won't help.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I thought about Afghanistan too. I think that ship has sailed and he's just working on how to break it to folks. We're sending more troops. Like it or not. This sure won't help.

According to NPR....

The award comes at a sensitive time for the administration. Obama is meeting Friday with his top advisers on the Afghan war to consider a request by Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the U.S. commander in Afghanistan, to send as many as 40,000 more troops to Afghanistan as the U.S war there enters its ninth year.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM

Well, I'll say this- I think it might be good to send more troops. I'm not sure, but I think based on the experience in Iraq that it may help.

I wasn't sure about the Iraq surge. And every time I heard McCain say "the surge is working" I wanted to ask him "how can you know it's working unless you know what you're trying to do?" Still don't know what Iraq is all about. We said we wated Sadam out. Okay, he's out. But sending more troops in did seem to help the situation there.

Afghanistan is a little more clear. I supported Bush when he sent troops, but sure as hell didn't think we'd be there a decade later. Get in with overwhelming force, do the job and come home. That seems like the right idea to me. But I will be the first to admit I'm not a military expert and don't envy the people who have to figure this stuff out. Taking human lives is not a fun day at the office for anyone and trying to figure it out must be the most stressful job on Earth.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 10-09-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 PM

In honoring President Obama, the Nobel Committee stated: "Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

I thought Obama worked for Americans?? Would the majority of Americans think that he should be awarded for his performance?

I think it is too early for that decision!

I'm not normally a NWO kind of person, but this makes me wonder.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Resident octogenarian

I watched the Ambassador from Afghanistan on Jim Lehrer's News Hour last night. After listening to him my first thought was his eyes must be brown because he sure is full of it. He wants us to send in 40 or 50 thousand more troops, he wants us to baby sit them for the next ten or so years. Not once did I hear him say the theyr were going to build up their army. He waffled all over the place when asked about the election fraud. The olympic ice skating judges would surely have given him 10s across the board.

At the end of it I was all for sending McChrystal a few tactical nukes and tickets home for our troops.