Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Dang. Sorry, I suddenly have deep philosophical differences with your sect.

Pete
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM

Yes D-Ray,

Henry VIII needed a male heir for the throne of England, and the Pope wanted too much money for his granting of the annulment. So:

King Henry VIII of England

The English Reformation was initially driven by the dynastic goals of Henry VIII, who, in his quest for a consort who would bear him a male heir, found it expedient to replace papal authority with the supremacy of the English crown. The early legislation focused primarily on questions of temporal and spiritual supremacy. The introduction of the Great Bible in 1538 brought a vernacular translation of the Scriptures into churches. The Dissolution of the Monasteries and the seizure of their assets by 1540 brought huge amounts of church land and property under the jurisdiction of the Crown, and ultimately into the hands of the English nobility. This simultaneously removed the greatest centers of loyalty to the pope and created vested interests which made a powerful material incentive to support a separate Christian church in England under the rule of the Crown.

And the founding of the Catholic Church depending on who you believe !

Protestants many times would like us to believe there was no early church structure or for that matter a specific early church and that Constantine "created" the Roman Catholic Church. they would also like us to believe there was no standardized early church leadership and no universal church leadership, all of these were creations of the third and fourth century. Although as a stated above not everyone the citations is as explicit as we may want them to be their very useful against the pseudo-history.

Religions Origin is often covered by layers of wishful thinking and superstition.

Bill
Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

I also believe that if man had no religion he'd invent one and that most people have their faith due to circumstance of birth. I like to think I have religious tolerance, but must admit that I don't like the Evangelical movement's influence in American politics.

Would we be better off as a nation or a world without religion? I have mixed feelings on this one.

Well finnbow,

Since we can not see GOD walking around here on Earth, I suppose that We Created GOD in our own image ! While I'm certain that he is near by at all times, as I very often hear people talking to him or calling his name.

And secondly, do you realy believe that people in general are better human beings today, than they were say 75 years ago ?

Bill
Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Dang. Sorry, I suddenly have deep philosophical differences with your sect.

Pete
Being one who has always cared for the less fortunate, should you run out of your own beer, I'll fix you up with some of my cheap whiskey.

Which is why I have cheap whiskey in the first place. Some of the unfortunates of my congregation have felt the need to tithe.

They drink my Woodfords and replace it with Old Charter...because they can't tell any difference. Thank God they don't offer up Old Mill Lite!!!

Chas
Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Well folks, the Bible ain't a technical manual, a point lost by the fundamentalists, both Christian and atheist.

Religion isn't any thing to get all squirreled up about, just do what you feel is right. It's not a big deal.

Chas
Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Neo and my fellow religion distrusters, remember it wasn't the 'tree of knowledge' - it was the 'tree of knowledge of good and evil'. Anyone who reads the Bible for themselves can see that reason is more than welcomed, it is neccessary. Solomon asked for the gift of wisdom, and Jesus choked the government of man with his Socratic reasoning.

Hello Bill, nice to meet you

LOL! But hey, buy the beer, you'll get more members

Pete

Hello Pete, Pleased to meet you as well !

While I do not hold meetings, I have found individuals with very similar beliefs as I, and that is troubling ! Now I am no longer unique !

Just think aboult all the decisions that I would need to make as the leader of a new religion. I might have to translate my own Bible, set up accurate dates for my religious holidays, and the list goes on and on... I think that I will just keep my congregation small, me

But it has been surprising to find others that have similar beliefs as I ?

Bill
Old 01-03-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
I have had a sorted relationship with Religion for my very start !

I asked way too many questions for any religious leader that I have had the opportunity to talk too.

Have Faith was the most common response that I received, others just told me that what I was asking was Blaspheme ? So I asked just what the definition of "Blaspheme" was ?

I have also noticed that many people have no idea concerning the founding of their religions. They just insist on the stories that where told them in church ? Until proven wrong !

So, have any of you researched your religion's factual histories ????

Now don't get this post wrong, I am very happy for those that are happy with their religion and Faith ! I never proselytize, as I am the soul member of my religion, and I am very Happy with that, although I am finding many fellow believers that agree with me ?

Bill
Hello Bill,
Well as for me...I never was much for joining a group of anything. Whether it be religious or otherwise. Although I was raised catholic, had parochial schooling and followed with the religion all our married life (you get the pic) I just found myself being a cafeteria catholic. Oh...I certainly believe in the creative aspect of the world by a higher power. My religion is quite simple really. It's pronounced usually by a soul healing spot in nature and definately needs no congregation to share the experience. it can be an open corn field with nothing but sky and myself. This I relish and can celebrate any day of the week. Which I do often. The roar of the mighty Niagara is most compelling. Do I believe in God? Indeed and the commandments.
Our children have chosen to be members of other denominations which is fine with both of us. IMO a person is never alone if he/she believes in someone/something more powerful outside the human concept.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Most folks have no clue about the early history of their religion. Just look at how the Torah was bastardized to make the Old Testament(just imagine whats been done to the New Testament over the centuries). Heck, most folks think there are only ten commandments but if you dig into the original "holy book" you'll find tenfold+ more..........

Last edited by Rex E.; 01-03-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
Hello Pete, Pleased to meet you as well !

While I do not hold meetings, I have found individuals with very similar beliefs as I, and that is troubling ! Now I am no longer unique !

Just think aboult all the decisions that I would need to make as the leader of a new religion. I might have to translate my own Bible, set up accurate dates for my religious holidays, and the list goes on and on... I think that I will just keep my congregation small, me

But it has been surprising to find others that have similar beliefs as I ?

Bill
you should read Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. You'd pick up all the pointers you need, and have a few hundred good laughs to boot. It's a brilliant book by a brilliant man.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Most folks have no clue about the early history of their religion. Just look at how the Torah was bastardized to make the Old Testament(just imagine whats been done to the New Testament over the centuries). Heck, most folks think there are only ten commandments but if you dig into the original "holy book" you'll find tenfold+ more..........
Hello Rex,

I have always believed that any translation, from any language too any language is corrupted by the knowledge and region that the translator comes from, as well as his or her understanding of the subject matter.

I have studied a few languages, and those that use different styles of writing, such as Sumerian, Egyptian, Aramaic, Chinese etc. pose a problem of where they learned them. If the original translator or teacher has mistranslated a word, it would be continued for many years until someone examined this, and had the courage to point out the error. And then it is unlikely that his pears will go against the old accepted established translation at all ?

So each translator that handles a manuscript might change or alter it because of his lack of knowledge of the regional dialect, or due to his personal belief of the subject.

And how many languages were translated from their original language into latin, by Monks that may or may not have had a handle of the language, and placed their personal beliefs into a translation ? And then into German, then English ! WEW !!!!

Perhaps Lazarus was sleeping like the dead, or just dead drunk ?

Bill