Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 AM

Global Warming?

With 16 of the last 20 years being the the warmest in recordable history, what do you all think?

All I know is, it's been been an awful damn long time since I heard some right-wing nut job say "so much for global warming"......

Indy
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Resident octogenarian

Given the crazy weather we have been having I can't see any other explanation.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
With 16 of the last 20 years being the the warmest in recordable history, what do you all think?

All I know is, it's been been an awful damn long time since I heard some right-wing nut job say "so much for global warming"......

Indy
Hey, Indy-

It ain't what I think. It's what I know. Anthropogenic global warming is a scientific fact.

By the way, in the United States since June 25th more than 2,000 local high temperature records have been tied or broken. Since June 1st the number is over 3,200.

Then there's that freak "derecho" last week. These are land-based straight line (non-cyclonic but tornadoes can form within them) "super hurricanes". It arose out of nowhere and covered 700 miles before anyone knew what hit them.

These things and other forms of freak severe weather are exactly in line with scientific models of global warming phenomena.

John
Old 07-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Sea levels rising, stronger storms and drought. Wild fires going on almost all spring and summer. High temperature records breaking at ever increasing frequencies. If this last one was a occurrence in the norm. Then there also should be new records being for cold temperatures at close to one to one ratio. That is if we were in a stable environment model. But we are not the temperature is going up plenty of evidence to those who look.

I think people do not want to face the facts that our lifestyles is unsustainable. Someday hard choices will be made and I'm afraid the ones doing them will look back with discuss on all of us today!

Barney
Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I think people do not want to face the facts that our lifestyles is unsustainable.
Or that the way they've chosen to earn their livelihood is exacerbating the problem.

John
Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 AM

Maybe but.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Sea levels rising, stronger storms and drought. Wild fires going on almost all spring and summer. High temperature records breaking at ever increasing frequencies. If this last one was a occurrence in the norm. Then there also should be new records being for cold temperatures at close to one to one ratio. That is if we were in a stable environment model. But we are not the temperature is going up plenty of evidence to those who look.

I think people do not want to face the facts that our lifestyles is unsustainable. Someday hard choices will be made and I'm afraid the ones doing them will look back with discuss on all of us today!

Barney
I've a basic problem with this, well two actually. First, is there any record of anything like this occurring over the same time period in say, the last 1000 years?

Second. Is it caused by us or not? It's an important question. If we're causing it we might be able to stop it getting any worse, maybe in the long term even reverse it but if it's not caused by us and is likely to carry on going no matter what we do, all I can think is that instead of trying like King Canute to prevent things that we can't prevent, we should be working out the best way to deal with the consequences. How to deal with political boundaries if previously cold areas warm up (frozen tundra in Siberia shows that at one time it had a temperate climate) and vice versa.

Incidentally. In the time of King Canute, kings were thought of as almost divine, all powerful. I've read that what he was doing was not to try to stop the tide coming in, but to show his Court that King or no King he could not prevent the tide coming in and implicitly that no one could. When it came in, instead of trying to prevent it, people had to figure out the best way to deal with the consequences.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post

Incidentally. In the time of King Canute, kings were thought of as almost divine, all powerful. I've read that what he was doing was not to try to stop the tide coming in, but to show his Court that King or no King he could not prevent the tide coming in and implicitly that no one could. When it came in, instead of trying to prevent it, people had to figure out the best way to deal with the consequences.
But... but... but that would leave us no time to jump up and down, scream and holler, gnash our teeth, and point fingers! What fun would that be, and what are we to do with all the carbon credits?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

We can't even stop what we're doing let alone reverse it. Checked out Kyoto performance lately? And that was just to slow the increase of greenhouse emmisions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
... let me just say that if I was foolish enough to come home with an Asian car she wwould likely set fire to it in the driveway. ....
Have I told you lately I love your wife? You lucky dog

Pete
Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Incidentally. In the time of King Canute, kings were thought of as almost divine, all powerful. I've read that what he was doing was not to try to stop the tide coming in, but to show his Court that King or no King he could not prevent the tide coming in and implicitly that no one could.
Hi, Combwork! Long time!

Your understanding of King Canute's message is correct but are you saying that we should all be like him when it comes to climate change? Should we just throw up our hands and say, "God's will!" and then go back to what we've been doing?

John
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I've a basic problem with this, well two actually. First, is there any record of anything like this occurring over the same time period in say, the last 1000 years?

Second. Is it caused by us or not? It's an important question. If we're causing it we might be able to stop it getting any worse, maybe in the long term even reverse it but if it's not caused by us and is likely to carry on going no matter what we do, all I can think is that instead of trying like King Canute to prevent things that we can't prevent, we should be working out the best way to deal with the consequences. How to deal with political boundaries if previously cold areas warm up (frozen tundra in Siberia shows that at one time it had a temperate climate) and vice versa.

We are living in the now, and steps can be taken. The weather statistics I have seen show a gradual increase in temperatures over the last 1000 years, but in the last 50 a drastic increase. A never before seen increase in such a short time.

Just last night on the national news was announced this year is the warmest ever recorded in the USA. I know in my lifetime the weather pattern have changed to be warmer. I haven't needed my big winters coat in at least 5 years or more. Granted this will not be true for everyone everywhere right now.

But with the gulf stream slowing down and Islands in the Pacific disappearing and add the ice melting on the polls. We should see something is going on in the worlds environment with the trend to the warm side.

In physics it is taught that nothing is lost. So for every barrel of oil weighing on average 306lbs and just the USA using 18.8 million barrels a day that is close to 57,640,799,999lbs going somewhere. Now that is just one day on average in the USA.

I can burn an incense in my house and that little bit of smoke makes it's way all throughout the house. So to the smoke and ash caused by burning fossil fuels has to be building up in our atmosphere one would think.

The human animal has always in general used up the resources then moved on to greener pastures. Whether this is do to the historically abundance in the past or just ingrained in our nature will be shown with this problem. Because we are at a point where we are using up the planet and with out an other one handy we will be in trouble.

This to me is just putting of the painful job to another person to handle. What harm is there in going more green? Getting rid of plastics for everyday throw away trash. Or going to a more renewable energy sources. I know we in the US are very wasteful and I try not to be everyday in my actions. But I see everyone else around me going on as if there is no tomorrow.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/02/...ut-us-and-oil/

http://www.global-greenhouse-warming...d-climate.html

http://www.causesofglobalwarming.net..._and_data.html

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 07-10-2012 at 10:09 AM.