Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozmoid View Post
I personally use them for sport and for hunting food.

LEA/military tend to use them for determent or outright killing of humans (war).

Criminals use them to gain power (coercion) or for the (non-government-approved) outright killing of humans (murder).

You do realize this list applies as accurately to the hammer as it does to the gun, right? "It's not the tool, it's the hand that guides it."

I am not buying what you are selling.
Let's see, a hammer for sport. That's a stretch.
hunting food with a hammer? I don't think so.
Military to kill and threaten, no again.
Criminal's to pillage and kill? I'd take my chances instead of giving them a gun.

There has not been one post in this thread that has offered any valid reason to continue to have weapons available to the general public.
The only semi rational reason I have heard is for self defense. That being said (and I repeat) I have never meet anyone that had occasion to use one in this manner and I am sure if they did it would likely make a bad situation worse.

It seems to me it is more about preserving a "culture" than it is about any benefits. IMHO, the good does not come in anyway close to the tragedy they constantly causes.

Can you offer me any positive for having all these guns around?

Here is a link to this weeks tragedy. This is a case of a man using a gun to stop a robbery and what is the result, tragedy for he and the robber. The good endings are so few and so far between to even bring up self defense is silly.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...27XxQD98EUN780