Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Resident octogenarian

My son majored in economics, said he wanted to be an investment banker, ended up as a Product Manager thank God. I guess investment bankers are not all bad but you wouldn't want your sister to marry one.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Merrylander

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Chas it is the red rectangle at the bottom of the post.

You can thank that barking idiot Phil Gramm for repealing the Glass Stegal Act and Clinton's finance guru Robert Reich for telling Bill it was a good idea. Harry Truman had it right when he asked for a one-armed economist. Put two economists in a room and they will come up with at least four theories.

You might just as well consult a tea leaf reader as an economist.
Sir, you are one fine human being. I feel as though I've discovered the secret of the universe. Armed with the knowledge of the magic "quote" button, I feel that I may be able to elevate myself to the status of the "truly insufferable".

I believe you have a valid point about the repeal of the GSA. There are a lot of folks that point to the sub prime loans as the straw that broke the camel's back. Personally,I think that the sub primes were more of a catalyst.

It's difficult to research a problem this complex, especially if you are as ignorant on the subject as I am. Coupled with the fact that 90% of the information that one collects is nothing more than politics as usual. Poke a stick in the other guy's eye, and try to make it look like his fault. If anyone has anything of concequence to say, they get drowned out by all of the hacks.

I hate to ask, but can you point out the magic "economics sans bullshit" button?

I'd like to click on it,
Chas
Old 05-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yeah, I was an Economics major in college, & I'll be damned if I can tell you a single SIMPLE thing about it...To be a good economist, you have to be able to make a point, & then refute it at least 10 ways...And support it 20 more. The one thing that I DID get from it was is that the economy of America is SO vast, & so complicated, there is really no way to devise a model to explain it adequately...Yes, you CAN influence the economy on a "Macro"-large-scale, but often as not, by the time your influences take effect, the economy has moved on, & your "influences" end up harming things rather than helping.
Whoa, you were an economics major? Please allow me to hush my mouth.

And all of this time, I was under the assumption that you were just an ignorant hillbilly with a couple of "shootin' irons".

Just kidding, I figgered you was most likely packin' a little somethin' in your britches,
Chas