Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I was thinking about this today as I heard a talking head say that if they taxed everyone that made over 500k 100%, it would make 1.2 trillion against a 4 trillion deficit. That makes it pretty easy to figure out who's gonna pay for all this stuff. Here's some hints for the slow among us; it ain't gonna be the crack dealers, or the illegal immigrant workers, or women on welfare that are churning out kids/meal tickets, or the insanely wealthy. There's not a doubt in my mind that America will pull through and survive the policies of this administration, but as usual, it will be on the backs of the working man. Let's just pray it's only 4 years worth.
Two things, we got into fiscal trouble with the bush policies and again I ask who are these women on welfare that are churning out kids/meal tickets?
Old 08-05-2009, 03:56 PM

And now we're getting out of fiscal trouble with the change guy right?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Abby Normal

Hell no, but something had to be done.

That is why I am against national health care at this time. Bush spent the money on war before we ever got the health care, now we must pay for the war before it is prudent to buy the health care.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:24 PM

Let me ask you this about your own home. If you have $20 in your pocket/checkbook and your income in the near future looks rather bleak, do you go to a bank and take a loan out hoping that the income will change soon?

I know for sure that I wouldn't.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Abby Normal

Not sure what you are referring to.

if I am in jeopardy of losing my home, and have a shortage of food because my business was about to go under and I suspected that if I borrow money I likely could keeps things afloat and eventually repay my loan, I think I'd have to be a dolt to not borrow the money.

I think your analogy is flawed so that may be why you come up with a different answer.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinover View Post
Let me ask you this about your own home. If you have $20 in your pocket/checkbook and your income in the near future looks rather bleak, do you go to a bank and take a loan out hoping that the income will change soon?

I know for sure that I wouldn't.
I'd take out the loan, default on it, & then SWEAR on a stack o' bibles the the Dastardly Banker deceived me..."I didn't know I wuz sposed t'pay it BACK...Gawwww...Leee..."
Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Now you can't blame it all on Bush and his war. This was a subprime meltdown, and both parties can take a certain amount of credit for it. Hell, both of 'em were bought off. I understand that some of the Arabs were shorting airline stocks before 911, blaming everything on Bush is an oversimplification.

We live in a country where 70% of the economy is consumer driven, and our currency is based on debt. The only thing which will right the boat is to convince people to continue to live beyond their means.

The problem is that the banks can take a promissory note and convert it into an asset...then loan 10x, or as much as 30/40x as much money as their current assets (fukkin' IOU's) are worth. When people don't pay up, the whole shell game comes apart at the seams. That's where we're at now.

Kind of a simplistic assessment of the situation, but more right than wrong.

At least I think so.

Chas
Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Grandad allways said there was two ways to run a buisness. You either just plain old earn money, or you cash flow it. But when the cash stops flowing, your screwed.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Grandad allways said there was two ways to run a buisness. You either just plain old earn money, or you cash flow it. But when the cash stops flowing, your screwed.
Nah, it's the suckers who bankrolled you who are screwed, iffin' ya do it right.

Chas
Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Two things, we got into fiscal trouble with the bush policies and again I ask who are these women on welfare that are churning out kids/meal tickets?
Come on out to Kansas City and I'll take you around to meet some. I used to buy my junk down in the city, so I know the "Brooklyn" area and some of the residents very well. I wouldn't lie to you anyway, they treat it like a business. The guy, if there is one, doesn't claim to live there, so the woman and kids qualify for mo stuff (mo kids, mo stuff). He deals drugs (in some form or another) all day, while she sits around watching TV and tending the kids. Food stamps are just like money in the hood.