Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Ready

I think the definition of the term 'enemies' in the interpretation of the treason clause of the Constitution needs updating--a thing the Supreme Court has the power to do, although the current one would not. But we don't declare war any more, and modern techniques allow nations to fight in non-traditional ways.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
An article regarding Trump and collusion: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...nce-ncna832771
Thanks! An eye opener on the legal definitions.

If Mueller cannot find Trump on collusion charge, then he has missed the boat and will end up in "witch hunt" territory.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:54 PM

There's "collusion" by statute definition, and collusion by intent. Intentional colluding with a foreign power for political advantage apparently occured, call it what one may.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I think the definition of the term 'enemies' in the interpretation of the treason clause of the Constitution needs updating--a thing the Supreme Court has the power to do, although the current one would not. But we don't declare war any more, and modern techniques allow nations to fight in non-traditional ways.
I think you just changed the subject from treason to enemies.

Congress changes the Constitution, not the Supreme Court. And as such it would be Congress who would update the definition of enemies to meet your criteria. We haven't been in a declared war for 74 years. However we were in a Cold War with Russia for four decades and neither Congress nor The Supremes felt the need for a definition change. I doubt they will be changing it anytime in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by nailer; 06-11-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:13 PM

RIP, Charles Krauthammer. One of the few thoughtful conservatives.

From the WaPo, where he was a columnist:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...c2e_story.html

Dr. Krauthammer, whom Bush named to the President’s Council on Bioethics, was never completely a partisan warrior. He differed from many cultural conservatives by favoring legalized abortion and stem-cell research and abhorred the idea of “intelligent design,” calling it “a fraud,” “today’s tarted-up version of creationism.”

He scolded the tea party, a loud minority within the GOP that tried to force its way legislatively with government shutdowns, as the “suicide caucus.” It was one thing to be a “blocking element” in the minority, he said, but their tactics were no way to govern.

Dr. Krauthammer was apoplectic about the rise and election of President Trump, calling him a “moral disgrace” for his initial refusal to fully condemn a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville and a walking “systemic stress test.”

“He had great lucidity of thought and was an extremely pungent polemicist,” Heilbrunn said of Dr. Krauthammer. “Those traits manifested themselves once more in his searing denunciations of Donald Trump as a phony. They showed that Krauthammer wasn’t simply a reflexive, unthinking conservative who was peddling the party line. He had real discernment and independence. At bottom, he was an intellectual, not just a journalist, with real literary flair and style and insight.”
Old 06-21-2018, 08:26 PM
Admin

"At bottom, he was an intellectual, not just a journalist, with real literary flair and style and insight.”" WP

I'll bet Chuckles is sitting by a roaring fire in the warm place tonight, grinding his ghostly teeth over that description.

Rest in peace, Charles. You will be missed.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Jigsawed

RIP Mr. Krauthammer.