Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Well as combwork put it RBS screwed him over and in all fairness "owes" him.
He also stated that there was an avenue open for him to be made well again. He chose to not persue it. I don't know how the legal system in Scotland works but it may have been possible to recover the 2000 pounds (?) needed to start the process.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Well as combwork put it RBS screwed him over and in all fairness "owes" him.
Thank you merrylander. Bitter moi?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
He also stated that there was an avenue open for him to be made well again. He chose to not persue it. I don't know how the legal system in Scotland works but it may have been possible to recover the 2000 pounds (?) needed to start the process.

I did not chose not to persue it. Despite being told I could apply to the Court to overturn the bankruptcy, until I did so I was bankrupt and subject to all its limits. This meant that I had no access to credit. Any action I took would have to be paid in cash up front. As I said, I did not have £2000. Classic catch 22. If I had had £2000 it would have been taken by the Accountant in Bankruptcy. If I had squirreled it away, even though I was using it to challenge the bankruptcy the fact that I had it without telling the Accountant in Bankruptcy would mean I was committing fraud, and could have gone to prison.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Resident octogenarian

As I thought, when the individual is up against a corporation or large financial institution you are pretty well at their mercy. I recall asking the company lawyer what my chances were to pursue a large manufacturer over what I believed was a defect in one of their products. His answer was "Go ahead, you can also dance with a gorilla, the odds are about even." Actually since gorillas are reputed to be gentle creatures I think the odds favoured the gorilla.

However, I did write to the CEO and he had his assistant call me. When I explained what had happened she asked if I still had the invoice for the repairs. As it happened I did and faxed it to her. They reimbursed me the full amount without admitting any responsibility.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
I did not chose not to persue it. Despite being told I could apply to the Court to overturn the bankruptcy, until I did so I was bankrupt and subject to all its limits. This meant that I had no access to credit. Any action I took would have to be paid in cash up front. As I said, I did not have £2000. Classic catch 22. If I had had £2000 it would have been taken by the Accountant in Bankruptcy. If I had squirreled it away, even though I was using it to challenge the bankruptcy the fact that I had it without telling the Accountant in Bankruptcy would mean I was committing fraud, and could have gone to prison.
Classic "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation...
Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Are there no lawers willing to work on a contingency basis?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Are there no lawers willing to work on a contingency basis?

Not common in the U.K. There are a few, but they mostly work on damages or insurance claims; something with enough possible profit to tempt them to take a chance.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:48 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Not common in the U.K. There are a few, but they mostly work on damages or insurance claims; something with enough possible profit to tempt them to take a chance.
Now I know more about the world than I did before.

I am sorry that you got ripped off. It really does seem unfair that a person would have to pay out of their own pocket to recover what is rightfully theirs.