Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:17 PM

Why is the climate change issue divided along party lines?

This is something I've never understood. It's almost as if conservatives care less about their children's future than progressives do.

Why are right-wingers so resistant to the hard science behind it and choose to ignore the vast majority of climatologists.

Please help me understand why we're so divided on this issue.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:06 PM

I have never understood greed, selfishness or willingness to ignore the obvious. Have come to conclude they that do must feel it is to late now. So enjoy it while you can.
Or to hard work and requiring sacrifices they being what they are will not endure.
So believe what makes them happy.
But looking back on human history we have as a species would use up an area and move on to greener pastures. Now we have run out of places to go.

So in a nut shell it describes the general Republican I know.......

Also a trait common is the willingness to have others pay.

Last edited by Oerets; 07-25-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:08 PM
Rational Anarchist

Two parties equals two side on each issue be it global warming, abortion, globalization, voting rights...
Old 07-25-2019, 08:11 PM

There is no two sides to climate change.
It is here and not going away!
Old 07-25-2019, 08:33 PM

It's to do with regulations, less regulations, no regulations even better.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:00 PM

Because the far right don't have the ability to think. Just look at the posts from our resident wingnuts. They don't think, or reason, or read, they simply spout whatever nonsense they're being fed by InsHannity, Limbow, Fucker Carlson, etc.

Scientists? "Leftists!" Any post from Whell... DonD is headed that way, sadly - a Fucker Carlson wingnut.

Last edited by Chicks; 07-25-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:01 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Two parties equals two side on each issue be it global warming, abortion, globalization, voting rights...
This is about it. Add in that big oil wanted it this way. But for the rank and file, it's just a matter of 'this is what people like us think.'
Old 07-26-2019, 05:14 AM
Jigsawed

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Because the far right don't have the ability to think. Just look at the posts from our resident wingnuts. They don't think, or reason, or read, they simply spout whatever nonsense they're being fed by InsHannity, Limbow, Fucker Carlson, etc.

Scientists? "Leftists!" Any post from Whell... DonD is headed that way, sadly - a Fucker Carlson wingnut.
Carlson is doing a great job exposing the neo-cons in both parties.

The war pigs bemoan his influence.

Last edited by Dondilion; 07-26-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
It's to do with regulations, less regulations, no regulations even better.
I can see this being the reason but it doesn't make sense that they're not concerned about the mess they're passing on to their kids and grandkids.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NipperDog View Post
This is something I've never understood. It's almost as if conservatives care less about their children's future than progressives do.

Why are right-wingers so resistant to the hard science behind it and choose to ignore the vast majority of climatologists.

Please help me understand why we're so divided on this issue.
The reason is actually pretty simple. There are two different world views and there is also a difference in the level of credibility each side gives authority figures.

You'll notice that the younger population is more leftist while the older generations are more classical liberal (commonly called "conservative"). When you are a kid, you tend to believe everything an adult you respect tells you. As you get older, you realize that adults are often just kids in bigger bodies. And being one of them, and being older and wiser, if only through osmosis, you are less likely to believe them unless they can back up what they say - and even then you may want a second opinion.

But kids lock on to an adult they respect and tend to absorb everything that person utters as "gospel". And then there is the Greta phenomenon. She gave an impassioned speech and then, at the press conference afterward, couldn't even answer the most simple softball question. That is because she is a "mouthpiece". We don't get our wisdom from a 17 year old girl propped up in front of us by a bunch of handlers. The left is more likely to soak up this kind of stuff.

And yes, I remember how my mind worked before I was 25 - the age at which the human brain becomes fully developed and is prepared to think and plan for beyond the current moment.

This is also why the Karens tend to be from the left and the "this is just the flu" folks tend to be from the right regarding CV19. The more you've been lied to, the less you respect the source. The young people are not old enough to have been lied to for decades and figured it out. When they do, it's an eye opener. Often they become conservatives and often they just throw out the whole thing and go independent. Some just stop voting.

Here's an actual adult with solid credentials on global warming, BTW:

https://realclimatescience.com/

Tags
climate, global warming