Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Loyal Opposition

Very well done statement by the President. He made political points (i.e. Unity) without otherwise being overtly political. He did a good job creating the context for what was done, probably, in part, to emphasize the importance of the event. I don't think he really hyped it, however, and it was not necessary. Obama has been Public Enemy No. 1 for quite some time.

For some reason Obama did not beat his chest and say "I am very proud of myself." He did give significant credit to the military and particularly to the anti-terrorist operatives. Interesting that he noted Leon Panetta's involvement. Think the rails are greased for his confirmation as Sec'y of Defense?

It was good to hear that President Bush issued a very statesman-like message of congratulations about the event.

How well is Trump's tough guy credibility gonna sell now. Will he somehow try to take credit. I think he has had about as tough a week as any political candidate. His birther issue is yanked out from under him; he gets publicly humiliated at the Correspondents Dinner, and now the target of Trump's ambition has just scored a major accomplishment.

It's hard to take a lot of pride in the death of any human, but I will have to go along with the widower of a 9/11 victim "A huge source of evil is no longer in this world." I suppose all of us can take some pride in that.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Very well done statement by the President. He made political points (i.e. Unity) without otherwise being overtly political. He did a good job creating the context for what was done, probably, in part, to emphasize the importance of the event. I don't think he really hyped it, however, and it was not necessary.
Hid did show some common sense and dignity by not showing up in front of a "Mission Accomplished" banner sporting a codpiece.

I have to wonder what kind of theatrics Dubya would have used for this occasion.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Loyal Opposition

My son called me to clue me in. He said that they broke into Celebrity Apprentice to announce it. Can't help but enjoy the irony of that.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
My son called me to clue me in. He said that they broke into Celebrity Apprentice to announce it. Can't help but enjoy the irony of that.

Regards,

D-Ray
That's great! Screw Trump, I hope his head exploded.

"Hi Ho, the merry-o, wipe your eyes, get out of bed, Hi-Ho Bin Laden is dead!!"

Dave
Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 AM

Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Dude, that is fast!!!

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 AM

Found on Facebook. Can't take credit for that one.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Area Man

Here's an thread appropriate blast from the past;

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributor.../13_Laden.html

Enjoy,

Dave
Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Query: does it change anything?
I couldn't say if it will or won't. I'm pretty sure it's a boost in morale for the US intelligence and armed forces, not to mention the population they work for.

No country is perfect and all have a plethora of other problems that need attending. That said, some good news is always welcome anywhere. It's been a year of bad news and toughness so far, which is one of the reasons I think the royal wedding was so huge. Everyone needs a break from the gloomyness that seems to have been all to present so far in 2011. This gets lumped with that, but is probably more important than the wedding as it was a tougher nut to crack, rather than hearing about a couple that would get married whether they were famous or not.

Osama was a bad man, he's gone now (thanks to you USAians). So, for the moment, we've got something to celebrate. Let's hope further news throughout the year continues to be good for everyone.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deczor View Post

Osama was a bad man, he's gone now (thanks to you USAians). So, for the moment, we've got something to celebrate. Let's hope further news throughout the year continues to be good for everyone.
Interesting. His last few taped messages had such blurry image and distorted sound that a number of people claimed he was dead already, and what they were seeing and hearing was a stand in.

When in doubt, sow confusion. Bring on someone who looks like him then claim the West had hit a hospital, or school or something.

Cynical? Me? No, just thinking aloud.