Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I would think the best for home defense would actually be a shotgun. Good stopping power, but in short range. Less likely to penetrate a wall and unintentionally kill an innocent.
I agree Dave, shotgun IMO much better home defense firearm. As far as penetrating walls totally wrong. Buckshot or a slug will penetrate many many layers of sheetrock.

http://www.theboxotruth.com
Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I'll take your word for it Tom I've never had a chance to fire the AK.
Why would you think I have?

I don't have an assault rifle fetish like you right wingers do.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
The AR15, like a lot of the weapons out there is a adult toy. But, a deadly one. And, I can't help but believe the only reason most interested parties even want one is because of the controversy. There is a sort of "forbidden fruit" or "taboo" allure to it. Buying one is an act of defiance for the immature.
This is where I feel you run into a problem because there are responsible owners and dipshit owners. Responsible owners of AR15s are not buying because of the taboo of it or for defiance. They usually are buying one because they enjoy shooting sports and maybe it is a home defense item. I know plenty of owners of AR15s who are not gun nuts or wackos and you would probably never guess they have an arsenal of assault weapons at home secured. They are safe, careful, and usually do not talk about it like the dipshit group.

The latter group likes to run their mouths and boast about feet per second, frequency of feed, and how many bricks of ammo they have. They are a few bad eggs that ruin it for the rest. I can't stand them probably more than non-gun owners. I think your accessment Dave is right on, they are buying for the thrill of ownership and it to them is a deadly toy.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG22 View Post
I agree Dave, shotgun IMO much better home defense firearm. As far as penetrating walls totally wrong. Buckshot or a slug will penetrate many many layers of sheetrock.

http://www.theboxotruth.com
I see. And generally, an interior wall is only going to have two sheets of drywall between rooms. Of course a slug would penetrate even further.

Still, I'm thinking the energy loss passing through each layer would be greater with scattered buckshot than with a single bullet. I imagine, say a 30-06 or .38 round would have penetrated all twelve layers and hit the bottle.

See what I'm getting at?

Dave
Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I see. And generally, an interior wall is only going to have two sheets of drywall between rooms. Of course a slug would penetrate even further.

Still, I'm thinking the energy loss passing through each layer would be greater with scattered buckshot than with a single bullet. I imagine, say a 30-06 or .38 round would have penetrated all twelve layers and hit the bottle.

See what I'm getting at?

Dave
.223 rounds do not penetrate as deep as a slug or buckshot because when the bullet hits the energy is lost quicker. Plus, bullets mushroom and tumble where a solid ball of lead deforms but keeps going. No doubt a round of 00 will end a threat instantly but you need to be so careful of your backdrop

30-06 is not an "assault weapon" caliber but I could only imagine the penetration would be massive.

Last edited by MikeG22; 04-08-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Area Man

Quote:
This is where I feel you run into a problem because there are responsible owners and dipshit owners. Responsible owners of AR15s are not buying because of the taboo of it or for defiance. They usually are buying one because they enjoy shooting sports and maybe it is a home defense item. I know plenty of owners of AR15s who are not gun nuts or wackos and you would probably never guess they have an arsenal of assault weapons at home secured. They are safe, careful, and usually do not talk about it like the dipshit group.

The latter group likes to run their mouths and boast about feet per second, frequency of feed, and how many bricks of ammo they have. They are a few bad eggs that ruin it for the rest. I can't stand them probably more than non-gun owners. I think your accessment Dave is right on, they are buying for the thrill of ownership and it to them is a deadly toy.
In the bolded;

But, isn't that the case for everything? Wouldn't that be why a great number of things are illegal or, at least, regulated? Because a certain percentage of the human race are idiots that can't be trusted?

See, that's where it breaks down to philosophy. How much do we tolerate from jackasses and lunatics in the name of protecting the responsible? Some seem to think this can only be a "Winner Takes All" situation. We either allow unchecked ubiquity and potency or we confiscate all the weapons and melt them?

I don't believe it has to be so extreme.

But, eventually, it will come down to extremes if we do nothing. I think we can pretty much bet on that.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-08-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Area Man

Anyhow,

I guess, because I'm not a gun enthusiast, I just don't understand why in the hell it's so important to some people to even have one.

If someone walked up to me and said, "Dave, you are forbidden to own an AR-15.", I wouldn't care. I don't care. I don't have one now, nor have I ever wanted one.

Dave
Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
The latter group likes to run their mouths and boast about feet per second, frequency of feed, and how many bricks of ammo they have.
You mean like this?

Quote:
.223 rounds do not penetrate as deep as a slug or buckshot because when the bullet hits the energy is lost quicker. Plus, bullets mushroom and tumble where a solid ball of lead deforms but keeps going. No doubt a round of 00 will end a threat instantly but you need to be so careful of your backdrop

30-06 is not an "assault weapon" caliber but I could only imagine the penetration would be massive.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
You mean like this?
Do you have anything productive to add?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:18 PM

My "house guns" are mostly .22 cal pistols of various type (Ruger RST 4" and NAA .22 and .22 mag mini-5-shot revolvers) but the go-to "enforcer" is a Ruger Speed-six .357. I'm older and look vulnerable, live in the woods at the end of a dirt road out in the stix, and am ca 40 min away from a sheriff dept response. The .357 is my best plan 'B' after dialing 911 as the response time is quicker, it can take standard .38 cal for lower indoor power if desired.

Last edited by Pio1980; 04-08-2014 at 06:35 PM.