Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Rob, you have to look outside your own experience and refuse to draw universal conclusions based on one incident or one individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
John you are reading into my words just what you want to see and not what is on the screen. On five separate occasions Muslim men went out of their way to annoy and even threaten my late wife.
Rob, my point is in the bold text above. It doesn't matter whether it's one or five, both vanishingly small numbers whether you compare it to the world population of Muslims or even the number of Muslims you and Florence have interacted with.

Quote:
These were to only ones to do so, no Christians, no Jews.
That proves nothing. It's like flipping a coin. How it came up the last time, or even the last five times, doesn't affect or predict how it'll come up the next time.

Quote:
Must I like every Muslim, Christian or Jew? Rather unrealistic wouldn't you say?
No, quite the opposite in fact. There will be some individuals you'll like and some you won't if you treat them as individuals. That's the way it's supposed to work. Of course, if you form an opinion of all members of a group based on negative experience with five individuals, that's just as misguided (and a lot more damaging to all concerned) as liking them all.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Rob, my point is in the bold text above. It doesn't matter whether it's one or five, both vanishingly small numbers whether you compare it to the world population of Muslims or even the number of Muslims you and Florence have interacted with.

John you have formed an opinion (with little basis in fact) concerning how I will interact with Muslims.

That proves nothing. It's like flipping a coin. How it came up the last time, or even the last five times, doesn't affect or predict how it'll come up the next time.

As there is unlikely to be a "next time" it really is irrelevant. At my age and health I am pretty much of a recluse.

No, quite the opposite in fact. There will be some individuals you'll like and some you won't if you treat them as individuals. That's the way it's supposed to work. Of course, if you form an opinion of all members of a group based on negative experience with five individuals, that's just as misguided (and a lot more damaging to all concerned) as liking them all.
There you go again, how do you know how I treat people? During Florence's recent illness and passing I had occasion to interact with individuals of most every persuasion. Judging by their surnames they were from all over the world. The general opinions (as they were expressed to me personally) was that I am a hopeless romantic and please never change. The last thing on my mind was what religion, if any, to which they subscribed. Prayers were offered for her recovery but for all that was said they could have been praying to the Goddess. But I guess that I will never change votre idee fixe, so I am going back to my novel where my time can be spent more productively, A Dios.

Hmm strange during the time I was typing this I was logged out yet still allowed to enter text.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Admin

Don't go Rob. Please.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Don't go Rob. Please.
Oh I am not going from PC just these circular arguments with John as we seem to be talking past each other.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Oh I am not going from PC just these circular arguments with John as we seem to be talking past each other.
As that ol' AK curmudgeon, Sandy, would say, "Kewl!"