Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Actually I think TD used it in an earlier thread.

In all seriousness I admit that someone can find an individual who is content to live off unemplyment but they are the rare bird. As long as you own nothning, no house, no car, you might scrape by assuming someone will let you live somewhere rent free. But for the average worker, at least all the ones I know, to say unemployment is a dis-incentive to look for work is to have lost touch with reality. Over twenty years back when we were renting the place went for $800 a month and it was no palace. Now they are well into four figures.
I probably shouldn't respond as I'm running on 2 hrs of sleep (damned allergies...woke up at midnight lying in a pool of sweat and feeling like I was rolled up in a bale of fiberglass insulation).

But here goes.

I have nothing but pity for anyone who has lost their job for no reason of their own. I also realize that there are places where finding ANY job is almost impossible, at least for some. I've been there, I didn't sign on as a prison guard because I thought that I looked pretty kewl in a baggy green uniform with a smashed up bus driver hat. Come to think of it, that damned uniform made me itch like I was rolled up in a bale of fiberglass insulation. Perhaps the start of my allergies.

As I was self employed at the time, I had no choice but to find a job. And fast.

I think Kyl's point (other than his head) was that a certain segment of society will stay on unemployment until the bitter end before they take a job which they don't want. The economics in Bugtussell make this an option, probably different than the situation in Maryland.

And I'm still pissed off at the fellow I fired, and for good reason, but didn't contest his unemployment as I didn't want to kick even his sorry ass while he was down. He drew it to the bitter end while working for cash, and that is a fact...it's a small town and I know what goes on...at least when I have a vested interest in it.

After which my unemployment rates basically tripled and stayed that way until the state had the money back. In other words, I wound up paying the freeloaders benefits out of my hip pocket.

There is really no correct answer in this situation. And no matter what the government does, their one size fits all policy doesn't really fit anyone very well.

I'm just glad they don't make my shoes.

Chas