Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
As for Sharpton, I'm confident that an individual whose mantra is "no justice no peace"
Here's the thing, whell, all the time you're criticizing me for asserting that Palin's target list could have been what triggered Loughner, you're trying to connect Sharpton with Brinsley. See a problem here? It's a problem primarily because, unlike Palin with Loughner, you can't point to a single thing that Sharpton did that might have motivated Brinsley.

John
Old 12-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Funny, though, nobody seems to want to blame Brinsley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
What a stupid feckin' pissing contest. All of us have been equally exposed to the influences of both the AZ and NYC shooters and none of us have gone on a murderous rampage. Politics have devolved to the point that each side feels compelled and justified blaming the other for the actions of irrational murderous assholes.
Say what?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Say what?
Sorry, missed that.

So nobody except Finn is placing the blame where it belongs.

John
Old 12-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Admin

There was something about the shooter being a sick fuck back in the beginning before Whelly offered up his juvenile tidbit of false equivalence.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:24 PM

Brinsley had shot his ex-GF in Baltimore before coming to NY and killing the two policemen. Loughner was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic. Brinsley committed suicide and chances are he too was a deranged individual.

And we are here rationalizing their actions and assigning blame.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Here's the thing, whell, all the time you're criticizing me for asserting that Palin's target list could have been what triggered Loughner, you're trying to connect Sharpton with Brinsley. See a problem here? It's a problem primarily because, unlike Palin with Loughner, you can't point to a single thing that Sharpton did that might have motivated Brinsley.

John
That IS the thing John. You're continuing the cling to the failed narrative that Palin somehow motivated Loughner. No evidence supports it. Zip, zero, nada. So, if I want to suggest that Sharpton motivated Brinsley - which I didn't by the way, I just asked a question about whether we should in light of the fantastic leaps in judgement that some in the forum have been willing to take in the past - I'd think you'd be one of the first who would be willing to support me on that. Instead, all you've got is insults. I am, frankly, quite puzzled.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Admin

Leave the scolding to Sister Mary JJ, Mike. It's really not your forte.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Leave the scolding to Sister Mary JJ, Mike. It's really not your forte.
Right...

Meanwhile, back in Real-ville:

New Jersey State PBA Executive Vice President Marc Kovar said in the email Sunday morning that all members and officers should take extra caution and change up routines in the coming weeks.

He cites heightened hostility from nationwide protests that he says has led to a “fever pitch of anti-police sentiment.”

This open hostility has created more tense encounters with officers even on routine incidents such as motor vehicle stops,” the alert reads.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12/...s-in-brooklyn/

But Sharpton's rhetoric, I'm sure, has nothing to do with any of this.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Something pushed Loughner over the edge. He'd been stewing about Rep. Giffords for 4 years before his rampage, ever since she failed to answer an absurd question he asked her to his satisfaction. Why did he suddenly act around the time that Palin produced the target list?

Of course, I don't know whether the target list pushed him over the edge. I don't think I ever actually said so but said - or meant - that things like the target list find fertile ground in disturbed minds such as Loughner's.

To be honest, I doubt Loughner knows what set him off but Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage et al create a climate and a narrative that, if not actually calculated to do so, has a high potential for pushing people like Loughner over the edge. We know that Byron Williams was motivated to attack the Tides Foundation by the vitriol of Glenn Beck and there are other examples. Worst of all, these right wing hate mongers know this and refuse to change their ways.

And this only happens on the right. It infuriates me when people like you try to promote the false narrative that the left behaves the same way. They don't and even if they did, it doesn't excuse the behavior of the right. It is pure unadulterated evil. These people know they're lying and they know what consequences their lies can have.

John
Old 12-21-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Right...

Meanwhile, back in Real-ville:

New Jersey State PBA Executive Vice President Marc Kovar said in the email Sunday morning that all members and officers should take extra caution and change up routines in the coming weeks.

He cites heightened hostility from nationwide protests that he says has led to a “fever pitch of anti-police sentiment.”

This open hostility has created more tense encounters with officers even on routine incidents such as motor vehicle stops,” the alert reads.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12/...s-in-brooklyn/

But Sharpton's rhetoric, I'm sure, has nothing to do with any of this.
There you go with Sharpton again and after denying that you were implicating him in the violence.

So far the demonstrations in response to Garner's murder and the grand jury's decision not to indict have been peaceful, just as, for the most part, those in Ferguson been non-violent. No cops have been killed or injured in Missouri and none had been harmed in New York until a deranged gangster from out of town decided to get famous.

Can the killings in Brooklyn serve as a trigger for more cop killings?

Sure.

This is a terrible state of affairs brought on, really, by decade upon decade of police abuse, mostly in the black community. People are fed up, sick of the police violence and harassment that are part of their daily lives.

Now the chickens are coming home to roost and, instead of placing the blame on a system that brutalizes black and brown people in this country, we try to affix blame to the community that has been the victim for all this time.

It won't wash, not any more. If the cops want to defuse this situation, they need to start treating the citizenry like human beings.

John