Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm not so sure that I can blame everything on Clear Channel, but FM broadcasting in central Missouri is pitiful...I'm pretty much down to one station.

A hell of a waste of a tricked out Sansui TU-717.

Chas
Yeah you got tricked.

I cannot complain. There are good FM choices in the NY area. Recently WBGO installed a new transmitter in the Times Square area and this really improved the quality of its transmission.....like live jazz in the living room.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
My favorite public radio station is still WKAR, broadcasting from the Michigan State University campus where I went to school. The station is about 80 miles away, but thankfully they stream on the web. Three streams: classical, jazz and folk. Thanks to WKAR, I'm getting into the folk music stream, and loving most of it.

Music that you'd never hear played on Clear Channel dominated FM.
Your boys better play well, or my bracket is screwed.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm not so sure that I can blame everything on Clear Channel, but FM broadcasting in central Missouri is pitiful...I'm pretty much down to one station.

A hell of a waste of a tricked out Sansui TU-717.

Chas
I blame Clear Channel because of their connection with Right-Wing talk radio. If my dog soils the carpet, it's because of their crappy signal.

Dave
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 PM

So I can honestly say that I hate Clear Channel and the swill they produce and invade the airwaves with .Fm was well on its way to sucking when I first noticed that Clear Channel was buying up everything down here in Fl. May have been before that and I was just not aware. Seems to me that Micheal Powell had something to do with this also? Anyway now days my Radio is glued to the left side of the dial, either Npr or local college radio of which I have both to enjoy! WMNF Tampa 88.5 is the community/college station if anyone is interested.

Last edited by 68custom; 03-18-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Admin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-M-2000-WAT...item35ae4b78aa

For Charles! 2kw, DJ not included!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I really, really, really hope Clear Channel tanks. But not for the reasons that many of you would like them to tank.

Clear Channel is, IMHO, made the FM dial a vast waste and of boring, recycled and highly compressed (thus crappy sounding) music. FM is, with a few notable exceptions, nearly unlistenable because of Clear Channel's influence.

Speaking a bit hopefully, one might hope that if Clear Channel folds, it could lead a renaissance / rediscovery of the joy of quality FM broadcasting.
Agree 1000%, whell. Unfortunately, Cumulus will just pick up the pieces. And...if you think ClearChannel's bad...wait til you get a taste of Cumulus. Lew Dickey (CEO) makes Mitt look like an altruistic Democrat. Talk about a pirate!!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
My favorite public radio station is still WKAR, broadcasting from the Michigan State University campus where I went to school. The station is about 80 miles away, but thankfully they stream on the web. Three streams: classical, jazz and folk. Thanks to WKAR, I'm getting into the folk music stream, and loving most of it.

Music that you'd never hear played on Clear Channel dominated FM.
Our NPR station is a 100,000 watt mega FM station. With repeaters to get the signal over the mountains I can easily pick it up 150 miles away when I travel to some of my more remote locations. One of them is the infamous Mena AR. I Drove by the Mena airport the other day. I half expected to see some of Clinton's blow he smuggled in dusting the runway.

I did see the fields full of Bush's FEMA trailers. They are selling like hot cakes to be used for job site trailers for construction jobs. We paid a fortune for each one of those tiny white trailers with two windows and a door. Now someone is making money again selling them to the public. I have not heard a word uttered about how the taxpayer is going to get their money back.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
If the FM stations implement that digital channel crap you can expect the analog side to circle the bowl.
The digital HD signal carrier did not affect my MX110 or the Scott 312 I am using now. KNWA the NPR station does broadcast in analog and HD. So far the signal is great
Old 03-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68custom View Post
So I can honestly say that I hate Clear Channel and the swill they produce and invade the airwaves with .Fm was well on its way to sucking when I first noticed that Clear Channel was buying up everything down here in Fl. May have been before that and I was just not aware. Seems to me that Micheal Powell had something to do with this also? Anyway now days my Radio is glued to the left side of the dial, either Npr or local college radio of which I have both to enjoy! WMNF Tampa 88.5 is the community/college station if anyone is interested.
You can thank the telecommunications bill Clinton signed into law in the 90's. The death of Glass/Stiegel in 2000 sealed the deal that led to almost all station ownership by Cumulus and Clear Channel. The individually owned stations and the diversity they offer is long gone.

My sister was in radio for close to 30 years. Her last job was working as a program director for Clear Channel that had six radio stations broadcasting from one building. I know for a fact that the classic rock play list was 75 songs rotating in and out for a total of 45 at any one time. It is the same all over the country. It cuts the fees they have to pay to broadcast the music. Anybody want to hear "Stairway ti Heaven" one more time.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
Anybody want to hear "Stairway ti Heaven" one more time.
No thanks. I'm not buying it.

Regards,

D-Ray