Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:14 AM
Banned

After 2 1/2 years...something good for Illinois.

In 2015 a shitsack republican billionaire nursing home slumlord named Bruce Rauner became governor of Illinois. He ran against democrat Pat Quinn, using the typical strategy of the moment in 2015...linking every Illinois democrat to Rod Blagojevich. It quickly became clear what Rauner's agenda was...turn Illinois into Indiana. And for him to become the Mike Pence of Illinois. What he didn't figure on was running into IL House speaker Mike Madigan-D, and IL state Senate President John Cullerton-D. It became clear right from the get-go that both immediately went into, "Oh yeah? well fuck you Bruce" mode. So...since January 2015, the state of Illinois has been operating without a budget, bills have gone unpaid to the tune of $15 billion...state programs have been slashed to the bar minimums...even state participation in the Powerball lottery has ended for lack of money available for participation. Many republicans, conservatives and other assholes have, of course, blamed the whole thing on that evil scumbag Mike Madigan...which is a giant carload of shit. Rauner walked into the job, a beligerent billionaire not all that much removed from Donald Trump, acting like he had a "mandate" which he didn't have...and refused to cooperate with anybody with a "D" after their name. He stuck his fat nose in the process of the Legislative branch of Illinois government.

This past week the consequences of this situation had become catastrophic...and guess what happened? A dozen Republican members of the IL House sat down with House Democrats and hammered out a balanced budget deal. They agreed to a pretty stiff state income tax increase in order to begin paying down the state's debt and getting current bills paid. It hurts, but it's gotta be done. Rauner, acting like his mentor, Donald, immediately expressed his raging sense of betrayal, and vowed to veto any such budget. What Rauner is demanding is that a whole list of state services, mostly serving the working poor in Illinois would either be slashed or eliminated completely to satisfy his "balanced budget." Sound like anybody we know? Good, fine Bruce...go fuck yourself.

Several days later two or three republican state senators also abandoned Rauner's bullshit and voted to pass a corresponding Senate bill with pretty much the same tax consequences. The bill went to Rauner, who immediately vetoed it. Within hours yesterday, the Illinois Senate over-rode his veto, and everybody went home to watch the fireworks. It is expected that the IL House vote will happen tomorrow, and the votes are there to over-ride the veto there as well.

If you want a state government as it exists in Indiana, you're gonna have to move to Indiana, Bruce. But you're gonna be run out of office on a rail in the next election anyway...and we will be free of your ass.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 07-05-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:20 AM

I wonder how many people realize that most of the problems this country faces have been caused by the republican party.

They break things that were working OK then say "look government is broke".....
Old 07-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
I wonder how many people realize that most of the problems this country faces have been caused by the republican party.

They break things that were working OK then say "look government is broke".....
Republican vote whores are best at slashing programs and services to the working poor and other financially disadvantaged citizens that don't get them any votes.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Ready

News in today's paper is that Rauner vetoed the budget yesterday, and the Illinois senate immediately (withing 30 minutes, on the 4th of July) voted to override the veto. But the override may be tougher in the Illinois house, with action 'not scheduled' at the time of the report. 15 Republicans voted with the Democrats to initially pass the budget; I assume more than that will be needed for the override.

Last edited by donquixote99; 07-05-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
News in today's paper is that Rauner vetoed the budget yesterday, and the Illinois senate immediately (withing 30 minutes, on the 4th of July) voted to override the veto. But the override may be tougher in the Illinois house, with action 'not scheduled' at the time of the report. 15 Republicans voted with the Democrats to initially pass the budget; I assume more than that will be needed for the override.
The larger revolt was actually in the IL House where, as you reported, those 15 republicans voted in favor of the budget. No guarantees of course, so we shall see, but I'm hearing on the news that an over-ride is expected. It appears enough legislators from both sides would prefer to hang a continuing budget impasse on Rauner.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 07-05-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:00 PM

The democrats in Illinois are far from innocent in all that mess. They spent like drunkin sailors like the good times would last forever. One of the shining examples is state retirees getting a 3% raise in their pension every year which is unsustainable and what's worse it's protected by the Illinois Constitution. Illinois Representatives kept voting themselves pay raises in bad times. There are so many things wrong with Illinois. People are leaving in droves and I'm one. The wife and I became citizens of Kentucky this week. That tax hike will drive even more out and may actually cause revenues to drop from the loss of population. I don't see a way out for Illinois that isn't bankruptcy. It's a good state to be from. Oh and Pat Quinn didn't lose because of Rauner be lost because he sucked and he proved that durning his term.

Last edited by sanford12; 07-05-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Admin

Kentucy's the better for it, Sanford. The state IQ just went up a few points.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford12 View Post
The democrats in Illinois are far from innocent in all that mess. They spent like drunkin sailors like the good times would last forever. One of the shining examples is state retirees getting a 3% raise in their pension every year which is unsustainable and what's worse it's protected by the Illinois Constitution. Illinois Representatives kept voting themselves pay raises in bad times. There are so many things wrong with Illinois. People are leaving in droves and I'm one. The wife and I became citizens of Kentucky this week. That tax hike will drive even more out and may actually cause revenues to drop from the loss of population. I don't see a way out for Illinois that isn't bankruptcy. It's a good state to be from. Oh and Pat Quinn didn't lose because of Rauner be lost because he sucked and he proved that durning his term.
Rauner is a jerkoff low rent Trump.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Admin

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...sse-toward-end

Looks like Rauner lost. Good.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Great news. I wonder what posses assholes like Jindal, Rauner and Brownback to drive their states financially into the gutter to hold up an ill conceived ideal. Or enact tax cuts on money the state does not have.