Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:43 PM

I teach sunday school at my church and also at our local jail. I've never seen a class by Jimmy Carter, though.

I get a lot of flack from people around here that adhere to the ECT doctrine (Eternal Conscious Torment). I teach CI in Jail and, being in the bible belt where even the guys in jail have a strong church bakground, it's a real eye opener. There are a lot of truly scared people around here. Scared of God. That should not be. You can "fear" him in the same way people who run nuclear power plants "fear" the plant.

Retort: ummmm, YOU are the one who mentioned "fear" in your very first post of this thread. Why are you now backtracking?
Old 07-06-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsup1000 View Post
I teach sunday school at my church and also at our local jail. I've never seen a class by Jimmy Carter, though.

I get a lot of flack from people around here that adhere to the ECT doctrine (Eternal Conscious Torment). I teach CI in Jail and, being in the bible belt where even the guys in jail have a strong church bakground, it's a real eye opener. There are a lot of truly scared people around here. Scared of God. That should not be. You can "fear" him in the same way people who run nuclear power plants "fear" the plant.

Retort: ummmm, YOU are the one who mentioned "fear" in your very first post of this thread. Why are you now backtracking?
I'm not. I was just not being clear. Part of my message is regarding the english word "fear" as used in the bible regarding our creator. It is used in the same way a father may tell his son, who he is teaching to shoot, to "fear" his rifle. It is more about respecting the power of the Lord and creator and acknowledging who he is.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:49 PM

Hitler had answers. Pol Pot had answers. And their answers were correct until someone with more power decided they weren't. But until then, if you were within their sphere of power, they were the "right" answers. And theirs were most definitely "humanist" answers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Retort: Again, misinformation and disinformation. There have been murderous tyrants since the beginning of the homo species. And what has your "God" done about it? Nothing, that I can tell. In all cases, it was decent and ethical humans who eventually put a stop to their regimes. Now the Germans have a prosperous and ethical nation. Cambodia remains under the control of Communists, but at least there are not the purges that are killing tens of thousands of people "just because". And in both cases, in all cases, that happened because HUMANS, other humans, came to the rescue. Sometimes it wasn't very pretty, as in wars that kill quite literally millions, but the outcome was positive for the long term social milieu of the world.
Humanism has the answers, and without the myth and superstitions that form the foundation of religion.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:51 PM

Part of my message is regarding the english word "fear" as used in the bible regarding our creator. It is used in the same way a father may tell his son, who he is teaching to shoot, to "fear" his rifle.

Retort: Or the black father who has "the talk" with his teenage son who is getting his driving license, and reminding him that there will be an excellent chance of being stopped "DWB", driving while black, and just because he is black as opposed to a white person doing the very same thing in his car.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:03 PM

Fear is a poor substitute for respect.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:04 PM

Well said, Pio.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:06 PM

Actually, "fear" was a HUGE part of the Old Testament. It was all full of reasons why people should "fear the Lord". And it's still the same, really. If you have a debate with a religionist and it seems to be going your way, they will pull out the "hell card" and play it. BUT WHAT ABOUT WHEN YOU DIE! DON'T YOU FEAR THE CONSEQUENCES IF YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN!
Old 07-06-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Humanism has answers, true. They are just not "the answer". They are written in sand. Hitler had answers. Pol Pot had answers. And their answers were correct until someone with more power decided they weren't. But until then, if you were within their sphere of power, they were the "right" answers. And theirs were most definitely "humanist" answers.
A-humm, about that Spanish inquisition thing?
Old 07-06-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Actually, the Christian message is not fear of retribution and reckoning, though some would have you believe that. It is quite the opposite. It is your second paragraph. It is even part of the Christian message that that "sense" is in all of us.

https://www.jewishnotgreek.com/
I have sat thru more many sermons and masses over the years. So do not tell me what I heard preached.
Then for many years went to car shows where "Christian Car Guys" were in attendance. Hearing all the stories about the car "deal" (steal) talk. Hearing the stories in church services from the same people about family members who passed on burning in hell because of not being "saved"!!!
Accompanying crocodile tears of course!

Even had to explain to some kids camping once after another camper said with vinegar and hate, "your going to burn in hell" because they were Catholic! Told you're not Christians!
Ask yourself where did the little one get such ideas?
Even had to explain to parents when they came to pick up the kids.

Last edited by Oerets; 07-06-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I have sat thru more many sermons and masses over the years. So do not tell me what I heard preached.
Then for many years went to car shows where "Christian Car Guys" were in attendance. Hearing all the stories about the car "deal" (steal) talk. Hearing the stories in church services from the same people about family members who passed on burning in hell because of not being "saved"!!!
Accompanying crocodile tears of course!

Even had to explain to some kids camping once after another camper said with vinegar and hate, "your going to burn in hell" because they were Catholic! Told you're not Christians!
Ask yourself where did the little one get such ideas?
Even had to explain to parents when they came to pick up the kids.
So now you have a taste for what I'm up against.