Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Resident octogenarian

&^%$# middlemen

This country is so damn stupid, you can't deal with anyone unless there is some damn middleman in there with his or her hand in your wallet.

So I finished the novel 26 chapters and over 248,000 words but the only chance it might ever be published is if I hire an Agent (read $$$$$).

Screw it, it was fun writing it anyway.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Have you looked at self publishing Rob? I'd buy a copy (fine print: if it was less than $50 ).

Pete
Old 11-10-2014, 03:34 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Have you looked at self publishing Rob? I'd buy a copy (fine print: if it was less than $50 ).

Pete
What he said.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
This country is so damn stupid, you can't deal with anyone unless there is some damn middleman in there with his or her hand in your wallet.
In some instances the middle men are really necessary and earn their money.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
In some instances the middle men are really necessary and earn their money.
You mean like the mortgage finders who caused the housing bust.

I have found two Canadian publishers who accept direct submissions and since I have dual citizenship they accept direct submissions. A good part of the story does take place in Canada anyway.

Last edited by merrylander; 11-11-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:28 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
Thoose people are leeches, I downloaded a paper from one of them and a week later I get emails and then phone calls. So I sent the lady some random chapters. Next phone call she tells me how great the novel is, but she can't tell me specifically which passages really impressed her. I mean that I know it is not all of a piece, some bits are more attention getting than others. So as a half price special they would print me six copies for a mere $695. Have you ever seen a modern offset printer? Hit start then hit stop and you have at least 100 prints admittedly not bound.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
You mean like the mortgage finders who caused the housing bust.

I have found two Canadian publishers who accept direct submissions and since I have dual citizenship they accept direct submissions. A good part of the story does take place in Canada anyway.
Go that route, if you can. Screw these American shyster businessmen. They'd probably just rip you off and tell you it's for your own good anyways.

Dave
Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 AM
Mutated Member

I'm pining for a copy with dedication and signature. Don't give up Rob.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Ready

There are jillions of manuscripts, and only 24 hours in a day. Most publishers don't even look at unsolicited, unrepresented manuscripts. If you find one that does, your ms. will go into a 'slushpile,' it will be months and months and months before an intern-type looks at it, and it's then very hit-or-miss as to whether they will recognize the true worth of your effort.

So if you want to be published by a commercial house, have the book marketed, and thus having the potential to find an audience, you most likely need an agent. A real one, not a scammer. Real ones don't advertise, and they don't ask for $ up front.

So, how do you get one? It's a process, of course. Agents, after all, have the same problem as publishers--lots and lots of writers seeking publication. Here's a helpful online article. It's from the Science Fiction Writers of America, an author's organization. The info is perfectly good for non-SF authors.

http://www.sfwa.org/real/

Last edited by donquixote99; 11-11-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Ready

Personal contacts and networking are largely how publishing works, I think. If you know anyone, or anyone who might know anyone, see if they can help. Info on who to send query letters to would be good stuff.

Beyond that, 'help,' would be the person has an actual ongoing talking relationship with someone, and is willing to talk about you. Names you can drop, even with permission, count for nothing.

Last edited by donquixote99; 11-11-2014 at 09:58 AM.