Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Obama Considering Allowing UN Vote on Palestinian Statehood

President Obama took a step toward a tougher line with Israel in an interview released Tuesday, raising the possibility that the U.S. will allow a United Nations vote on issues related to the Palestinians if the two sides make no meaningful movement toward peace.

In an interview with an Israeli television station, Obama noted that his administration has “up until this point” quashed such efforts at the U.N. while insisting that the Israelis and Palestinians must negotiate a resolution. But he said it is a challenge for the U.S. to keep demanding that the Palestinians negotiate in good faith if no one believes the Israelis are doing the same.

http://www.latimes.com/world/middlee...602-story.html

This could prove interesting.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Rational Anarchist

He's just being anti-Semitic.

With this policy change, normalizing our relations with Cuba and his reaching out to Iran, President Obama may just be building himself a foreign policy legacy.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Area Man

Here comes the wailing.........................
Old 06-03-2015, 09:53 AM

I can see it now: blue helmets in Palestine to protect them from the aggression of a neighboring country.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
He's just being anti-Semitic.

With this policy change, normalizing our relations with Cuba and his reaching out to Iran, President Obama may just be building himself a foreign policy legacy.
Agreed. No country or a coalition today can ever win a WW III. It will be total annihilation. All future ties will be economic and best is not have designated enemies. As to fighting terrorism, we will need to have regional tactical allies, not simply political such as Israel or Saudi Arabia.

The UN Security council membership needs to be expanded, even if on a rotating basis. The current format only assures stagnation.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I can see it now: blue helmets in Palestine to protect them from the aggression of a neighboring country.
And, I'm pretty sure there would be aggression. Much of the land now called "Israel" was accrued through aggressive behavior.

Hell, in reality much of what is now called "The United States of America" was acquired through aggressive behavior.

Of course we all know THAT'S a big lie. "God blessed" us with this land and it's bounty as reward for our saintly Christian ways...................
Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Agreed. No country or a coalition today can ever win a WW III. It will be total annihilation. All future ties will be economic and best is not have designated enemies. As to fighting terrorism, we will need to have regional tactical allies, not simply political such as Israel or Saudi Arabia.

The UN Security council membership needs to be expanded, even if on a rotating basis. The current format only assures stagnation.
True dat.

Taking a more neutral stance on the Russian/German (Euro) dynamic is a key component.

Stagnation breeds blood suckers.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
tThe UN Security council membership needs to be expanded, even if on a rotating basis. The current format only assures stagnation.
It does, and on a rotating basis with 5 permanent members and 10 non-permanent members which are voted in by the General Assembly for 2 year terms. All 15 members have voting power but the 5 permanent members have both voting power and, individually, veto power.

I think the veto power needs to change. I'd like to see the permanent members retain veto power but only in cases when a majority of them, 3 or more, agree.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I think the veto power needs to change. I'd like to see the permanent members retain veto power but only in cases when a majority of them, 3 or more, agree.
Good idea. France needs to be replaced by India and GB by a Euro creature.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
And, I'm pretty sure there would be aggression. Much of the land now called "Israel" was accrued through aggressive behavior.

Hell, in reality much of what is now called "The United States of America" was acquired through aggressive behavior.

Of course we all know THAT'S a big lie. "God blessed" us with this land and it's bounty as reward for our saintly Christian ways...................
Exactly Dave after "Manifest Destiny" we are in no position to lecture others. Maybe that was the basis for the computer game Grand Theft.