Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
People forget this one amazing thing about Medicare....it keeps your kids from going broke too...
That can also be said about Medicaid! With the vast majority going for the care in Nursing homes. What would be the result it it was to go away?

Barney
Old 09-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
People forget this one amazing thing about Medicare....it keeps your kids from going broke too...
How so?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
If true, Ryan's a moron.

Pete
We already know this.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
That can also be said about Medicaid! With the vast majority going for the care in Nursing homes. What would be the result it it was to go away?

Barney
My mothers time in the nursing home was ~$6,900---a month. And that was considered "reasonable" as nursing homes go. There is cheaper, but, beware. At the low end, they can get pretty questionable. We ran into some posh places that were upwards of $13,000/month.

So, if your wondering how Medicare/Medicaid can help an elderly persons family stay out of bankruptcy----There you have it.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-26-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
My mothers time in th enursing home was ~$6,900---a month. And that was considered "reasonable" as nursing homes go. There is cheaper, but, beware. At the low end, they can get pretty questionable. We ran into some posh places that were upwards of $13,000/month.

So, if your wondering how Medicare/Medicaid can help an elderly persons family stay out of bankruptcy----There you have it.

Dave
How long ago was that? The care for my Mom never exceeded $6000, and she lived in a high quality facility. It wasn't posh by any measure, but it specialized in Alzheimer's care. The staff was well-trained and attentive - that was the most important consideration to me.

It must be a regional thing. My wife works in a long term care facility, and their cost falls below the BOTL prices you mentioned. I can say that it is a high quality facility without being parochial, because the state has given facility it's PEAK award - sort of a gold standard. Their method of care has been studied by other facilities as a model. Of course, it is a not-for-profit organization, so I'm sure that keeps the cost down some.

Still, five or six grand a month is not cheap. Mom passed away a couple of months before she would have run out of money.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Koch-Teapublican

Bull chit....

Craig Robinson, speculated about simmering tensions between Mr. Ryan and Mr. Romney, and Mr. Ryan’s future if the Romney-Ryan ticket loses in November.

“I hate to say this, but if Ryan wants to run for national office again, he’ll probably have to wash the stench of Romney off of him,’’ Mr. Robinson said.

No chit, if they lose this is probley true....

Then Roger Simon weaves in a bunch quotes which contained no named sources, as straight reporting.

Again I call bull chit... this isn't reporting, it's fiction.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS... View Post
Again I call bull chit... this isn't reporting, it's fiction.
Apparently it was intended as fiction. Blame me for wishful thinking.

John
Old 09-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Koch-Teapublican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Apparently it was intended as fiction. Blame me for wishful thinking.

John
Naw, I dont blame you... But all the media stations that reported on it and quoted the story is another story...

Here is the NYT's story I pulled the first line from...

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...taken-as-fact/
Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
How so?
Having to put a loved one into a long term facility is very expensive. If the person has assets and the funds then as long as the money holds out Medicaid is not needed.
But the vast majority of the elderly will need to go onto Medicaid once the house is gone. Without Medicaid then where would the money come from? The family would either take over the care or be faced with the possibility of Grandmaw being put out in the street so will need to pony up.

I have a family member who is 87 and receives 3500 a month in retirement/SS but still needed to go on Medicaid to make up the shortfall. (3K a Month) This is of course after the home, life insurance and other assets were spent down.

Barney
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Admin

Patty's family and I have experienced some of the same hefty expenses of long term alzheimer's board and care facility for her Mom, who was a WW2 Navy veteran, a WAVE. Even with her Navy pension and SS there was $2k-3k out of pocket per month to the facility. BTW she operated a flight trainer for the air arm of the Navy in the fortys. Pretty cool stuff.

Anecdote alert-Being in California, 99% of the ladies who cared for her were latinas & philippinas and the love, friendship and true compassion they showed day in and day out was sweet, not a nurse Ratchet in the bunch. When we found that they were buying toiletries out of their own pockets for some of these folks in the home, Patty insisted that she reimburse the gals on her mom's ward for it and actually took it upon herself to hit Costco to provide these minor incidentals ($50-$75 month). Ordinarily it is the families who are responsible for these incidentals but they sometimes only visited infrequently and/or traumatized by the experience it's understandable. It was only three or four out of twelve on that ward that saw no visitors so it was encouraged and expected that we visited with them also while we were there to see Patty's mom. As an AK member I made damn sure they had all of the big band era tunes and a small CD player in the common room. I would've taken a Magnavox tube amp over there but nah, they're like children on an alzheimers ward. Too dangerous.

Back on topic. YMMV but it wasn't more than $3k a month for a decent place, two years ago, but like as mentioned, pricing is a regional thing. Some of the places we visited when we were deciding on it were those Rolls Royce facilities at priced at $6k,o. of p. we didn't look at the waterfront facilities where the sky is the limit. Coastal Orange county is probably the priciest anywhere. $5 million McMansions are everywhere and the $1-2 million ones inland a mile or two are known as the projects. Italianate/spanish sytle stucco palaces? The OC invented them.

Last edited by bobabode; 09-26-2012 at 11:50 PM.