Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Jigsawed

Damn! I did not realize that so much water is used in this process.

The awful part is the water becomes undrinkable even if "scrubbed".
Old 02-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
No more artichokes for you Pat.
I say unfortunately because even in the summer (when Maryland's Eastern Shore has some awesome produce), the big chain stores still have California fruits and vegetables picked unripe and shipped across country. They'll ship those tasteless things you guys call cantaloupes here when the Eastern Shore cantaloupes may be the best in the country. Same goes for tomatoes, peaches, etc. Thankfully, we live in a rural setting with abundant farm stands.

Actually, my observation applies to a lot of American foodstuffs. Factory-farmed to be consistent in appearance and easy to ship, but tasteless. This applies not only to fruits and veggies, but to things like pork and chicken, even potatoes. I remember when my son was about to move to Germany, I told him to get ready for some delicious pork, far better than anything he'd tasted here. He was initially skeptical, but reported than pork and chicken there were flavorful and moist unlike most of what we get. He even remarked on the potatoes having a pronounced flavor.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
That's odd. Most of the veggies in our grocery stores come from California (unfortunately).

Those veggies come from my neck of the woods.

The fruit, too.

But if they keep giving our water to those hollywood types in the south who need to fill their fancy pools, there won't be any fruits or veggies for anyone.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Those veggies come from my neck of the woods.

The fruit, too.

But if they keep giving our water to those hollywood types in the south who need to fill their fancy pools, there won't be any fruits or veggies for anyone.
During my travels in California, Oregon, Washington and Arizona, the local produce tastes pretty good there. It's not remotely the same when picked unripe and shipped 3,000 miles.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Damn! I did not realize that so much water is used in this process.

The awful part is the water becomes undrinkable even if "scrubbed".
The bitch of it is we don't know what the frackers are putting in that water that they use due to the Halliburton rule. It's all proprietary information.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
During my travels in California, Oregon, Washington and Arizona, the local produce tastes pretty good there. It's not remotely the same when picked unripe and shipped 3,000 miles.

Yep...

As an aside..... My son's job is cleaning pools and at one place, they grow avocados and he was told to help himself. Another plAce he cleans pools has kiwi growing.... Again, he is told to help himself. He also cleans pools for the apple rancher and a couple of wineries. He has been bringing home good stuff all through the growing season.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Admin

Quote:
Yep. Farmer's markets are the place to buy produce. We have given up on cantalopes from the grocery store, too. Big Agra is the worst idea we've come up with. Even the eggs suck.
I remember the sweet Maryland corn and the apples to the north of you. The cider wasn't too bad either.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Yep. Farmer's markets are the place to buy produce. We have given up on cantalopes from the grocery store, too. Big Agra is the worst idea we've come up with. Even the eggs suck.
I remember the sweet Maryland corn and the apples to the north of you. The cider wasn't too bad either.
Our sweet corn is a thing of wonder. An old girlfriend of mine was from near Le Sueur, MN, Minnesota (home of Green Giant corn) and used to brag about how the sweet corn there was the best in the world. Then she tried some Maryland Eastern Shore sweet corn. Though it shattered her Midwestern pride, she was a convert.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Yep...

As an aside..... My son's job is cleaning pools and at one place, they grow avocados and he was told to help himself. Another plAce he cleans pools has kiwi growing.... Again, he is told to help himself. He also cleans pools for the apple rancher and a couple of wineries. He has been bringing home good stuff all through the growing season.
That reminds me, time to see how those avocado trees are doing on one of my clients' properties in old Santa Ana. The house was built in 1877 and I have carte blanche to pick as many avocados as I'd like. One tree is an original Hass cutting and the other is a Fuerte type, both over 100 years old. I'll need my 24 ft extension ladder just to get close to them. Yum!!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 PM

It's to late guys! The time for the people wake up to the mess was back in the sixties. Nobody was wanting to listen then or now really. To much hard work, humans have to be pushed to make sacrifices.

Barney

PS... I have no idea where my food comes from. I have a wife who does all the cooking and shopping.