Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Arguing in favor of not using seat belts (whether or not the government mandates it) is idiotic.
Maybe we should have the freedom to just buy a car, jump in, fill it up, fire it up, and go drive down the interstate at any goddamn speed we like. We can turn left from the right shoulder, blow through stopsigns, etc., etc.

The government allows those of us who have demonstrated a certain level of proficiency, to operate a motor vehicle. The government makes the rules for how it should be operated, including the use of safety equipment. We are not free to operate a motor vehicle. We are not free to decide which of the rules we'll follow and which we won't.

We've spent quite a bit of time down on the Island of St. Martin over the years. The fees for motor vehicle licensure are so high that a significant percentage of the residents, perhaps even the majority, cannot afford it. This has caused a large percentage of the population to drive unlicensed, and uninsured, in rat traps leaking oil, brake fluid, steering fluid and coolant. When somebody in their beater slams into somebody else in their beater, both parties typically just walk away, if they can walk. And of course, there are not enough cops to enforce anything on the books regarding the operation of motor vehicles. It's a little place so it's bad, but not that bad. Half the population unlicensed and uninsured would be a fucking nightmare here.

Just shut TF up and buckle TF up.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 03-02-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 AM

I'm sorry Ike that I have an opinion of my own that isn't the same as yours. How dare I? What was I thinking?

Maybe you should grow up and realize that not everyone agrees with each other. No one is wrong and there is no need for name calling.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryford View Post
I'm sorry Ike that I have an opinion of my own that isn't the same as yours. How dare I? What was I thinking?

Maybe you should grow up and realize that not everyone agrees with each other. No one is wrong and there is no need for name calling.
Oh quit whining about being picked on after 100 posts. Where did I say you can't have an opinion?

Maybe you should grow up, stop being a typo pissant, if you don't like being called out on it. Just address the issue presented...but we know that when one doesn't have an answer to the issue presented they often fall back on shit like being petulant typo cop.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 03-02-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:38 AM

I investigated ABATE several years ago and gave them a wide pass, they seemed to diddle stats and wouldn't acknowledge the public burden angle. The first group I rode with in the 1960s wouldnt have you without a skid lid.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryford View Post

I feel that you have a right to express your opinion just like everyone else here. But, if counters some one else's, attacks ensue and you need to defend your opinion and let the personal comments (to put it mildly ) bounce off. Or else it does become a pissing contest and the topic is often lost in the melee.

At least, that's my opinion and how it works.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Arguing in favor of not using seat belts (whether or not the government mandates it) is idiotic.
Indeed, I am a little stupid but I ain't crazy!

Carl
Old 03-02-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
I investigated ABATE several years ago and gave them a wide pass, they seemed to diddle stats and wouldn't acknowledge the public burden angle. The first group I rode with in the 1960s wouldnt have you without a skid lid.

Just the acronym is enough to tell you what they're about.

Originally it stood for A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments. After several changes to try to improve their image, they settled on "American Bikers for Awareness, Training & Education".

Or something. They can't seem to make up their minds.

John
Old 03-02-2015, 11:17 AM

And another local traffic fatality this am with a beltless jeep driver thrown out.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Resident octogenarian

In my younger days I had a 1962 Ford Falcon Futura. Ford had provided the anchors for seat belts but the were an option.. As I was the second owner I simply ordered the belts and installed them. I also installed the dash padding. That winter I hit some black ice and rolled the car into the median strip. It rolled right over and came to rest on the driver's side. The event made a believer out of me. Then that spring a co-worker had a single car accident. Not wearing a belt he was thrown from the car and struuck his head and died.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:48 AM

My first crash was in a '60 Falcon wagon witbout belts broadsiding a car at highway speed that turned in front of me.
The subsequent rebuilding included seat belt installation, I was lucky.

Last edited by Pio1980; 03-02-2015 at 12:09 PM.