Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM

The bottom line is that the Republican plan is a return to for-profit-first business as usual health care under the idea that health care is a commodity and not a right.
The Republican party is the "death panel" here. No money? Fuck you, go die in the gutter.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:51 PM

AARP, the Medical Hospital Association, the AMA, the American Nursing Association, and all 150+ hospital Missouri Hospitals Association oppose this proposal. Never knew there were that many liberals! Especially AARP. Those damn bluehairs, wanting medical care! Who do they think they are!
Old 03-10-2017, 01:02 PM

Trump said this during his campaign.
Quote:
“I am going to take care of everybody. I don’t care if it costs me votes or not. Everybody’s going to be taken care of much better than they’re taken care of now. … The government’s gonna pay for it. But we’re going to save so much money on the other side. But for the most it’s going to be a private plan, and people are going to be able to go out and negotiate great plans with lots of different competition with lots of competitors with great companies, and they can have their doctors, they can have plans, they can have everything.”
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...rumps-promises
Old 03-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Trump said this during his campaign.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...rumps-promises
Would you buy Brooklyn's bridge from him?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Resident octogenarian

Let them pass that piece of crap, then watch the fun in 2018. I guess I qualify for the four grand, wonder which charity I should give it to. That would launder it.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

It'll be fun watching Trump tweet a bunch of nastiness about Ryan once this thing goes down in flames.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Admin

Since we're tossing around op-eds, Mike. Here's one from a guy who knows his way around an abacus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Krugman

'A Bill So Bad It’s Awesome' by Dr. Paul Krugman

"It has long been obvious to anyone following health policy that Republicans would never devise a workable replacement for Obamacare. But the bill unveiled this week is worse than even the cynics expected; its awfulness is almost surreal. And the process by which it came to be tells you a lot about the state of the G.O.P.

Given the rhetoric Republicans have used over the past seven years to attack health reform, you might have expected them to do away with the whole structure of the Affordable Care Act — deregulate, de-subsidize and let the magic of the free market do its thing. This would have been devastating for the 20 million Americans who gained coverage thanks to the act, but at least it would have been ideologically consistent.

But Republican leaders weren’t willing to bite that bullet. What they came up with instead was a dog’s breakfast that conservatives are, with some justice, calling Obamacare 2.0. But a better designation would be Obamacare 0.5, because it’s a half-baked plan that accepts the logic and broad outline of the Affordable Care Act while catastrophically weakening key provisions. If enacted, the bill would almost surely lead to a death spiral of soaring premiums and collapsing coverage. Which makes you wonder, what’s the point?

Obamacare rests on three main pillars. Insurance companies are regulated, prevented from denying coverage or charging higher prices to Americans with pre-existing conditions. Families receive subsidies linked to both income and premiums, to help them buy insurance. And there is a penalty for those who don’t buy insurance, to induce people to sign up even if they’re currently healthy.

Trumpcare — the White House insists that we not call it that, which means that we must — preserves some version of all three elements, but in drastically, probably fatally weakened form.
Insurers are still barred from excluding the sick, but they’re allowed to charge older Americans — who need insurance the most — much higher premiums.
Subsidies are still there, in the form of tax credits, but they’re no longer linked to either income (as long as it’s below $75,000) or the cost of insurance.
And the tax on those who don’t sign up becomes a small surcharge — paid to insurance companies, not the public — on people who sign up after previously letting coverage lapse.
Affluent young people might end up saving some money as a result of these changes. But the effect on those who are older and less affluent would be devastating. AARP has done the math: a 55-year-old making $25,000 a year would end up paying $3,600 a year more for coverage; that rises to $8,400 for a 64-year-old making $15,000 a year. And that’s before the death spiral."
NY Times

continued here - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/o...ol-left-region
Old 03-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
...that rises to $8,400 for a 64-year-old making $15,000 a year. And that’s before the death spiral."
Guess who's supposed to just go away and die.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Guess who's supposed to just go away and die.
Quite the 'Robin Hood in Reverse' scheme these a$$holes have cooked up.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Quite the 'Robin Hood in Reverse' scheme these a$$holes have cooked up.
Worse. Robin Hood in reverse would be 'rob the poor.' This is 'kill the poor.'