Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Admin

Speaking of AARP -

AARP to Alert 38 Million Members How Their Members of Congress Vote on Health Bill

"WASHINGTON, DC**** —AARP Executive Vice President Nancy LeaMond released the following statement today in response to the pending vote on the House bill that would create an “Age Tax,” weaken Medicare’s solvency, put at risk seniors’ ability to live independently as they age, and give sweetheart deals to big drug and insurance companies. In a letter sent to all 435 members of the House of Representatives, AARP maintained its strong opposition to this harmful bill and urged each Representative to vote ‘No’ on the proposed legislation. AARP believes this legislation will have a significant negative impact on the health of millions of older Americans ages 50 to 64, as well as other vulnerable groups, including poor seniors and disabled children and adults."

http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/press...alth-bill.html
Old 03-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Ryan sounds like he's been reading 'The Art of the Deal." But, the link below, to John Oliver's update look at Ryan's plan, actually contains video of Kellyanne stating, specifically, that Trump has no wish to have his name on Ryan's bill. I guess something had to be THE FIRST THING IN THE WORLD that Trump didn't want his name on....

It also tells about a section of the bill I've heard of nowhere else. The page count of this bill is like super-slimmed down, compared to Obamacare. Spicer in fact highlighted this to the press, it was one of the best highlights he could find, apparently. But six of the few pages left are devoted to language outlining how states can discontinue benefits to someone who wins big money in the lottery.

Think about that--millions of people are sure to find insurance unaffordable even if they sell their I-Phones, but what are these guys worried about? Plugging the Lottery Loophole! Wow, that was close. Might have had dozens of former poor people pulling a fast one there.

I have just two questions--who the hell thinks like that, and are there drugs that would help?
Republicans apparently and no the only drug that might help is cyanide.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:35 AM
Admin

...about that rightwing meme that the ACA is failing.

"In contrast to the dire pronouncements from President Trump and other Republicans, the demise of the individual insurance market seems greatly exaggerated, according to a new financial analysis released Friday.

The analysis, by Standard & Poor’s, looked at the performance of many Blue Cross plans in nearly three dozen states since President Barack Obama’s health care law took effect three years ago. It shows the insurers significantly reduced their losses last year, are likely to break even this year and that most could profit — albeit some in the single-digits — in 2018. The insurers cover more than five million people in the individual market.
After years in which many insurers lost money, then lost even more in 2015, “we are seeing the first signs in 2016 that this market could be manageable for most health insurers,” the Standard & Poor’s analysts said. The “market is not in a ‘death spiral,’ ” they said.

It is the latest evidence that the existing law has not crippled the market where individuals can buy health coverage, although several insurers have pulled out of some markets, including two in Iowa just this week. They and other industry spe************************ts have cited the uncertainty surrounding the Congressional debate over the law, and the failed effort two weeks ago by House Republicans to bring a bill to the floor for a vote.

The House G.O.P. leadership went home for a two-week recess on Thursday, unable to reach a compromise between conservative and moderate members over the extent of coverage that should be required for the very sick.

If the markets were to falter without a resolution in Congress, the risk of eroding public opinion before the midterm elections next year is bound to increase. The latest monthly Kaiser Health Tracking Poll by the Kaiser Family Foundation showed that more than half of Americans now believe that the president and Republicans own the health care issue and may shoulder the blame for any failings. The survey reported that more than half now support the Obama health care law.

The S.&P. report also buttresses the analysis of the Republican bill by the Congressional Budget Office, which said the markets were relatively stable under the current law, contradicting some Republican assessments of volatility." NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/07/h...ttom-well&_r=0
Old 04-09-2017, 12:40 PM

FDR, LBJ, Bush the younger, and now Obama have put in to place entitlements that are going to be pretty much impossible to roll back.

And yes, SS and Medicare are entitlements for the majority who paid in a small fraction of what they will take out.

It is unsustainable. The buying power of the dollar is declining as they print money to make it work. The Fed has interest at next to nothing to make it work.

But, it will crash. There is no fixing it.

Like trying to put the bait worm back in the hole.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Admin

I see you left out corporate entitlements from your bitch list, Zero. I wonder why?
Old 04-09-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroJunk View Post
FDR, LBJ, Bush the younger, and now Obama have put in to place entitlements that are going to be pretty much impossible to roll back.

And yes, SS and Medicare are entitlements for the majority who paid in a small fraction of what they will take out.

It is unsustainable. The buying power of the dollar is declining as they print money to make it work. The Fed has interest at next to nothing to make it work.

But, it will crash. There is no fixing it.

Like trying to put the bait worm back in the hole.
Yet not a word about that 800 billion dollar entitlement the MIC receives. Let's be sure to take care of the 1%. The other 99% can go fish......

Lets not ask the corporations and businesses that make their money off the american people to give some of it back and be socially responsible like we ask the middle class and most all of the lower classes to do.

If our politicians had a backbone and represented all the people instead of just the 1% all these programs would be feasible.

Last edited by MrPots; 04-09-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Ready

Good for them. For the first time, I actually feel like joining the AARP.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:18 PM

No, ZeroJunk, SSI was completely and totally paid for by workers. The initial startup was a forward paying Ponzi scheme, but by the end of WWII it was totally solvent.

Medicare, although an entitlement, is a wise use of tax moneys.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
No, ZeroJunk, SSI was completely and totally paid for by workers. The initial startup was a forward paying Ponzi scheme, but by the end of WWII it was totally solvent.

There you go bringing facts into a conversation, Dave.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post

We might want to define our terms here.

SSI - Supplemental Security Income: is a government program that provides funds to low-income people who are either aged 65 or older, blind, or disabled. While the program is administered through the Social Security Administration, SSI is funded thought general treasury funds, not the Social Security trust fund. I don't think this is the program you're referring to above, since SSI originated under Nixon. Also, since the program as paid for out of the "general fund", all tax payers fund it.

Then you have SSDI - Social Security Disability Insurance, which is payroll tax funded. However, the payroll tax is paid jointly by employers and employees as part of the FICA/Medicare tax. Both employers and employees (7.65% on the first $127,200 of annual wages, and 1.45% on any additional earnings - not counting the ACA surcharge). Since you state above that the program is "SSI was completely and totally paid for by workers", I suspect this isn't what you're referring to either.

If you're referring broadly to Social Security Income, that tax is also shared by employers and employees as shown above.

EDIT: here's a table that shows the historical ER and EE tax rates: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/stat...html#table2.a3

So, which program are you referring to?

Last edited by whell; 04-10-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling, added link