Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:12 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Talking A thread for Dave...

I can not vouch for the source, but check this out.

http://www.utrend.tv/v/9-out-of-10-a...-blowing-fact/
Old 10-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Ready

Nice piece of work, that presentation.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:50 AM

TP'ers still won't believe it because FOX tells them so.

Barney
Old 10-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Area Man

Let's see; 1976 was given as a year wealth distribution was noticeably more equitable. I remember 1976, it seems to me this country had a lot more industry and strong paying jobs that year than it does now.

So, where is the enduring prosperity for all St. Ronnies "Trickle Down" economics promised?

Could the Gipper have been wrong?

I think so.

Unless todays curve is what he and his ilk had hoped to achieve.
If so, I'd say America would have been better off if not for eight years of Reagans BS and the movement he fostered..........

Have a nice day!

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-20-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:19 PM

Hey John how would monthly consumption have been measured if that hare-brained Fair Tax scheme you like so much had been in effect during a government shutdown?

Actually for the Fair Tax to be implemented you would need large governmental intervention in personal lives hitherto never attempted.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:26 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Ice, monthly consumption would not have to be measured at he personal level. You pay the tax at the retail level for new items only. The retailer then pays the taxes collected to the Federal Govt.

Why would we need "large governmental intervention in personal lives"?

You would get the answers to all of these questions in the FAQ section of the website. Take a few minutes and read it.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:35 PM

So Biff at the Seven-Eleven enters your purchase of Old English 800 into government data base.......it would have to be tied to your ssn in some fashion. Or when you buy a table at the Ikea store maybe you swipe a national id card with your SSN so the IRS knows what you bought and how much tax you paid?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:08 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
So Biff at the Seven-Eleven enters your purchase of Old English 800 into government data base.......it would have to be tied to your ssn in some fashion. Or when you buy a table at the Ikea store maybe you swipe a national id card with your SSN so the IRS knows what you bought and how much tax you paid?
Nope. The tax is not tied to you personally at all. The Feds have no idea what you bought. The tax is built into the price of the item. That's as far as it goes. Retail businesses collect the tax from the consumer, just as state sales tax systems already do in 45 states; the FairTax is simply an additional line on the current sales tax reporting form. Retailers simply collect the tax and send it to the state taxing authority. All businesses serving as collection agents receive a fee for collection, and the states also receive a collection fee. The tax revenues from the states are then sent to the U.S. Treasury. There would be no IRS as we know it. The bill does away with them over a period of time. They would have to hang around long enough to deal with tax cheats left over from out current system.

(Bolded from the site)

Read the FAQs.

Last edited by JJIII; 10-20-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:24 PM

I think you are describing a Value Added Tax or VAT, which is extremely non-progressive.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:46 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I think you are describing a Value Added Tax or VAT, which is extremely non-progressive.
Once again from the site...

While VATs are also consumption taxes, and better than income taxes, the FairTax is not a VAT. A VAT works very differently. It taxes every stage of production. It is much more complex and is typically hidden from the retail consumer. Second, in industrialized countries that have a VAT, it coexists with high-rate income tax, payroll, and many other taxes that, in some instances, have led to marginal tax rates as high as 70 percent. Third, all other industrialized countries, except Australia and Japan, have a much larger tax burden than the U.S., which requires higher rates and makes tax administration much more difficult. Lastly, a VAT is a lobbyist’s dream, allowing them to install their loopholes unbeknownst to the purchaser. A retail sales tax, in contrast, is a lobbyist’s nightmare, applied as it is under the bright lights of the retail counter."

Are going to make me end up quoting the entire FAQ section? Why are you so averse to reading this for yourself? Go to the FAQ section and click on the questions, the answers are all there.