Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:42 AM

The internet

Odd, for all the promise of the internet, I have found that it's almost impossible to find good information on it. Even simple information. I've spent the last half hour trying to find out how much rain we've had locally in 2016. You'd think that would be easy, but no. You can find out everything BUT that simple bit of information. Unfortunately we've filled the internet with so much crap, so much information we don't need, that simple bits of information are no longer easy to find.

Time and time again I search for a simple bit of information, and I'm forced to read through pages upon pages of information I don't care about in the hope that what I'm looking for might be included in the search result. When I search for rainfall totals, I do not want to read the regions weather history, how it has shaped the landscape, who benefits from it and every little nuance of the weather. All I want is the information I asked for.

So most times I just give up and say fuck it.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Jigsawed

Try www.theweathercollect.com

or google: AMOUNT RAINFALL area period
Old 02-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Ready

That one was a little tricky. I searched for 'dayton OH annual rainfall 2015' in Google. First two hits only gave historical average climate data. The third was sort of good: got me to https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDAY/ That's the Dayton airport. Came up on the history for 1/3/2014 for some reason. But it also offered 'monthy' and 'custom' data. I clicked on custom, and entered the period Jan 1 2015 to Dec 31 2015. That gave the answer: 41.11 inches.

Give me the town you need and I'll give it a shot.

Ah, just noticed you're after '2016 to date.' Had 2015 in my head for some reason. Well, this thing can do that....

We're always smarter together than by ourselves. The internet can help with that.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 AM

Sometimes there is just too much information on the Internet.

Recently I've had a health issue and, while I am being treated by my doctor, I thought I'd look it up on the Internet to get a better understanding of the condition. There was a lot if conflicting information and I ended up more confused than when I started. 😟
Old 02-23-2016, 10:36 AM

Like many things, it seems to be about how you ask the question and when.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2016, 10:41 AM

What do you want, it's free.
In our county there are several rain gauges and the information is readily available on their website, updated continuously. Search for your county rain gauges and see what comes up.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
What do you want, it's free.
In our county there are several rain gauges and the information is readily available on their website, updated continuously. Search for your county rain gauges and see what comes up.
Same sort of thing here. I just Googled "sonoma county 2016 rainfall" and got this.

http://www.scwa.ca.gov/2015drought/

So, el Nino has managed to give us what we'd get in a normal year rather than the near zero we've been getting for the last 5 years or so.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:24 AM

Some of the political opinions on the internet are pretty jacked also.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
That one was a little tricky. I searched for 'dayton OH annual rainfall 2015' in Google. First two hits only gave historical average climate data. The third was sort of good: got me to https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDAY/ That's the Dayton airport. Came up on the history for 1/3/2014 for some reason. But it also offered 'monthy' and 'custom' data. I clicked on custom, and entered the period Jan 1 2015 to Dec 31 2015. That gave the answer: 41.11 inches.

Give me the town you need and I'll give it a shot.

Ah, just noticed you're after '2016 to date.' Had 2015 in my head for some reason. Well, this thing can do that....

We're always smarter together than by ourselves. The internet can help with that.
This ^^^^^^

Studying weather outlook for planning work, and historical weather data analysis as it relates to its effects on telecommunications are both a big part of the work I've been doing up here for two decades. You'll have a hard time finding more comprehensive data than what's available at wunderground.com
(no affiliation).

As far as finding info on the internet in general, I love it. Yes, it can take some time to find exactly what you want, but it beats the hell out of not having information to even try to sift through.
When I was a kid, Mom bought the Funk & Wagnall encyclopedias one at a time through a promotional at the grocery store. That was all we had at home. If it wasn't in there, sorry charlie.
At school you had the library, and it was no different than the internet. If you wanted to find something, you usually had to look for a while, and work on your search abilities.
Or you could just say fuck it and give up.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:52 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Some of the political opinions on the internet are pretty jacked also.
Lol! No joke!