Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:48 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
FWIW, most of the Minneapolis protesters were pampered (white) millennials.
Pampered, and are out protesting?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:52 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
If a particular group is frequently singled out for mistreatment, isn't it allowable for them to complain about it? If the mistreatment is extremely severe, isn't it understandable that they may feel like registering their complaints aggressively?

But you were 'tired' of BLM the first time you heard of them, I think.
I first heard of it (in those terms) as a result of Ferguson. The cop was exonerated by the Justice Department while the protesters burned large parts of the city down.

It's all a matter of perspective. There were 162 homicides in DC in 2015, almost all of which were black-on-black crime involving young men. There were 2 police shootings, both as a result of cops defending themselves against bad guys shooting at them (both were adjudicated as justified). There is something very wrong in American inner cities (crime, unemployment, drugs, etc.), but cops shooting innocent black men is pretty far down the list but is getting the lion's share of attention/ink, unlike the real sources and solutions to the pathology of the American inner city. Treating police violence as the primary problem impacting black culture does little to address the bigger, vexing problems that we've tried to resolve (mostly in vain) for decades.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-19-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Borrowing from his post just a bit, I won't forget that the "typical" cop, upon finding Tom Joad lying bleeding on the side of the road, would do everything in his/her power to help him. They would probably continue to help him even if you showed the cop his post above.
Unless the cop had been responsible for the condition TJ was in. Then he/she would let him bleed out. Much less "complicated" that way.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
That doesn't excuse a cop calling for BLM protesters to be run over, but I understand his and the public's frustration with the movement, its tactics and cluelessness.
Why does this remind me of Trump "understanding" why his supporters in Boston stomped a homeless Hispanic man or "understanding" why his supporters in Birmingham beat and kicked a BLM protester at one of his rallies?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I first heard of it (in those terms) as a result of Ferguson. The cop was exonerated by the Justice Department while the protesters burned large parts of the city down.
Even granting (which I don't) that the Ferguson protests were illegitimate, there are hundreds of other manifestations of a racist police culture in America that entirely legitimize the Black Lives Matter movement.

Even from the perspective of your point of view of the events at Ferguson, your efforts to dismiss BLM and their grievances and to decry their tactics is very misguided.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Ready

Quote:

It's all a matter of perspective. There were 162 homicides in DC in 2015, almost all of which were black-on-black crime involving young men. There were 2 police shootings, both as a result of cops defending themselves against bad guys shooting at them (both were adjudicated as justified). There is something very wrong in American inner cities (crime, unemployment, drugs, etc.), but cops shooting innocent black men is pretty far down the list but is getting the lion's share of attention/ink, unlike the real sources and solutions to the pathology of the American inner city. Treating police violence as the primary problem impacting black culture does little to address the bigger, vexing problems that we've tried to resolve (mostly in vain) for decades.
I don't think the Justice Dept is in the exoneration business, and I question your claim. No prosecution does not equal exoneration. The city's practices in general were damned, rather than exonerated.

injustice from a justice system gets folks riled-up more than substandard services and diffuse economic disadvantage and other factors leading to the violent urban subculture with which you smear all black people.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Even granting (which I don't) that the Ferguson protests were illegitimate, there are hundreds of other manifestations of a racist police culture in America that entirely legitimize the Black Lives Matter movement.

Even from the perspective of your point of view of the events at Ferguson, your efforts to dismiss BLM and their grievances and to decry their tactics is very misguided.
To me, the knee-jerk (and seemingly mandatory) endorsement of BLM by liberals is a way to show solidarity with the black community without having to actually undertake the requisite analysis, funding, cultural changes and hard work needed to make a dent in the problems of the inner cities.

I'm harbor no illusions that solving the problem is anywhere near that easy, particularly when much of the solution needs to come from within the black community. For the most part, I perceive white liberals endorsement of BLM as an intellectually lazy fig leaf to help assuage their white guilt.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-19-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Ready

Stuff the accusations of simple-mindedness, Finn the Man.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Stuff the accusations of simple-mindedness, Finn the Man.
OK, I deleted those two words. The larger point remains intact, however.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

The black community did itself more harm than good with its self-destructive behavior in Ferguson.