Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
This is a decent argument, and I would agree whole heartedly agree but for the fact that our government is a sick, twisted collection of power hungry, lieing, incompetent, fools. If I was foolish enough to think for one second that our government as it is could do a better job than the private sector, I'd say go for it. There is too much proof in the history that says otherwise (IMO).
Show me the bill that proposes a government run health care system that you would have to use. While, personally, I'm all for a single payer system that seems to work so well for so many other countries, I see no legislation proposed that would give us that.

So be against single payer if you like. But please consider supporting legislation that would prevent insurance companies dropping people if they get sick, prevent insurance companies from denying coverage for "pre-existing conditions" and allows people to keep their insurance if they lose their jobs. You know, since it has nothing to do with the concerns you are expressing.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Resident octogenarian

Medicare is run more efficiently than any private plan, the overhead for Medicare is half that of the private plans. I would imagine that a Public Option would be run by some dedicated civil servants and certainly not by Congress.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
If I was foolish enough to think for one second that our government as it is could do a better job than the private sector, I'd say go for it.
The interstate highway system.
The CDC.
The space program.
Medicade.
The FAA.
The Millitary.
Social Security.
Postal Service.

Why do we continue to propogate the lie that the Governmet can't do anything? It's a slap in the face to every patriotic American. Canada can do health care but we can't? Nothing against Canada, but yeah, I think we can manage it. But I don't even have to look that far. Medicare provides health coverage that is less expensive than private insurance. I don't have to ask "can our government provide health care?" They're doing it. And it does work.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Medicare is run more efficiently than any private plan, the overhead for Medicare is half that of the private plans. I would imagine that a Public Option would be run by some dedicated civil servants and certainly not by Congress.
I should have said that!

This is exactly why private insurance is so scared of a public option. They KNOW the government will do it better and cheaper. They can see it being done already. And somehow they've brainwashed a lot of Americans into believeing that supporting their bottom line for inferior care is better. Better for the insurance industry, no doubt. Not better for America.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 10-01-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
If I was foolish enough to think for one second that our government as it is could do a better job than the private sector, I'd say go for it.
I think you ought to do some research.

I don't know anyone that wants to change Medicare. I know tons of folks who are very upset with their health care.

I just don't understand why folks are so determined to have other folks get rich keeping them healthy.

Take profit out of health care.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
, I'm all for a single payer system that seems to work so well for so many other countries, I see no legislation proposed that would give us that.
This was never on the table. Corporate America is to powerful to allow the average guy to have affordable healthcare. This is the real problem with American and capitalism.

Quote:
So be against single payer if you like. But please consider supporting legislation that would prevent insurance companies dropping people if they get sick, prevent insurance companies from denying coverage for "pre-existing conditions" and allows people to keep their insurance if they lose their jobs.
This is not a concern, this only happens to the other guy. Oh yeah, and me.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:

Why do we continue to propogate the lie that the Governmet can't do anything? It's a slap in the face to every patriotic American. .
I know, I know!!!

Because it is in the best interest of corporate American to propagate that lie.

(really, that was an easy question)
Old 10-01-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The interstate highway system.
The CDC.
The space program.
Medicade.
The FAA.
The Millitary.
Social Security.
Postal Service.

Are you making a case for my point, or trying to make one for yours?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

A lot of costs of Medicare are off the books.

Pete
Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Are you making a case for my point, or trying to make one for yours?
If you have issue, could you be more specific? Is there a more efficent way to get a letter across the country in the private sector than the postal service? Is there a private company in America doing a better job getting sattelites into orbit than NASA?

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 10-01-2009 at 12:23 PM.