Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Dave this is the ploy of the monied class and workers are falling for it hook, line and sinker. Instead of getting a union of their own and demanding a decent wage they gang up on the guuys with a better wage - and their masters are laughing all the way to the bank.
Bingo.

Dave
Old 09-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Bingo.

Dave
Yup. Never understood how people don't see it.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
Yup. Never understood how people don't see it.
The education system. People don't learn critical thinking - or for that matter, simple statistics.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The education system. People don't learn critical thinking - or for that matter, simple statistics.

Regards,

D-Ray
The N.E.A. isn't teaching students about unions?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
The N.E.A. isn't teaching students about unions?
No, but thanks for the idea.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-02-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Is it starting to dawn on you that they "need" each other? The capitalist can't increase his capital without producers, the producers need the capitalist to have the chance to create summat. But it was the capitalists who started the war first - the Powell Memo - Google it.
Now that I've read the Powell Memo, I must say that it failed in accomplishing its goals. Further, the stated suggestions are far from the nefarious plot that some people suggest. I do believe it was correct in pointing out the gradual build up of left wing bias in universities and the press. The anti-corporate climate at the time was quite real and violent as can be readily demonstrated by the documented bombing of banks. Then again, you could just ask Obama's pal Bill Ayers. FWIW, the Powell memo seems to be more popular on left wing sites than the conservative sites I visited; that is, it does not represent the seminal basis of conservative thought.

I don't recall suggesting that capital doesn't need labor, but there are interests that benefit from the division between the parties. Who fired the first shot is a matter of debate. I'd argue labor and early progressives in the late nineteenth century that sought to characterize the profit motive as being something to be disparaged.

I do assert that concentrated power is always bad whether the holder is government, labor, church, or corporate. Pondering this, I think finance could represent a separate fifth division in this framework.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post

Regards,

D-Ray
Finn's girlfriend had summat to say on that subject in today's WaPo. Made me think of the grad student who I used to argue with on a Usenet political blog. He said that since he was a software type English did not matter. I told him that if he worked for me, and dumped a proposal on my desk as poorly written as his regular posts, it would end up in the circular file.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Now that I've read the Powell Memo, I must say that it failed in accomplishing its goals. Further, the stated suggestions are far from the nefarious plot that some people suggest. I do believe it was correct in pointing out the gradual build up of left wing bias in universities and the press. The anti-corporate climate at the time was quite real and violent as can be readily demonstrated by the documented bombing of banks. Then again, you could just ask Obama's pal Bill Ayers. FWIW, the Powell memo seems to be more popular on left wing sites than the conservative sites I visited; that is, it does not represent the seminal basis of conservative thought.

I don't recall suggesting that capital doesn't need labor, but there are interests that benefit from the division between the parties. Who fired the first shot is a matter of debate. I'd argue labor and early progressives in the late nineteenth century that sought to characterize the profit motive as being something to be disparaged.

I do assert that concentrated power is always bad whether the holder is government, labor, church, or corporate. Pondering this, I think finance could represent a separate fifth division in this framework.
I kinda think finance is the first division.

Couldn't afford to have wars if it weren't for the EZ financing plan.

Chas
Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Finn's girlfriend had summat to say on that subject in today's WaPo.
You should get a pic of that tweeked out bimbo tatooed on your arm.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
You should get a pic of that tweeked out bimbo tatooed on your arm.
Tweeked out Bimbo? WTF?

http://www.pulitzer.org/citation/2010-Commentary