Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
No, I'm supporting all think tanks whether they be on the right or the left. In your opinion, what are legitimate research organizations? Just because one may disagree with the founders and funding does not mean that their research is bad. The advocacy groups are opposed by advocacy groups on the opposite side. For example, Brookings effectively counters Heritage.

I'm of the opinion that it is absolutely great that so much policy information is now available to the average citizen. Once upon a time, policy position papers were only available to those in privileged positions that had subscriptions to the various journals and/or were in academic positions.
Don't get your panties in a bunch, B.H. and if you're thinking I'm going to say they should be shut down? You're sadly mistaken because I do support the first amendment. I am entitled to my opinion that I think the Hertitage Foundation is overwhelmingly full of shit in their conclusions and their methodology stinks to high heaven, on those same grounds. Do I have to explain my reasons to you? Why bother is as good an answer as any. Agree to disagree and let's move on. Forward...
Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

While everyone else is running away from nuclear power thanks to Fukujima, the Canadians are quietly going ahead with their CANDU reactors. They are designed to fail safe, i.e., a power failure simply shuts them down. They burn un-enriched uranium and could even burn the spent fuel from our high pressure reactors. India is even experimenting with using thorium in the CANDUs they bought. I guess it must be the NIH factor.

Last edited by merrylander; 10-21-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
While everyone else is running away from nuclear power thanks to Fukujima, the Canadians are quietly going ahead with their CANDU reactors. They are designed to fail safe, i.e., a power failure simply shuts them down. They burn un-enriched uranium and could even burn the spent fuel from our high pressure reactors. India is even experimenting with using thorium in the CANDUs they bought. I guess it must be the NIH factor.
I fully concur. Nuclear is the only viable alternative and also minimizes environmental damage.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Agreed.

As an engineer I firmly believe that land use policy has a bigger effect on energy consumption than any other factor. The reason boils down to simple math.

It takes a lot of energy to move butts from one place to another. The less the butts need to be moved the more energy you save.

Old cultures have an advantage in this regard that can't be denied. Their cities were laid out prior to the invention of the internal combustion engine or electricity. Their cities are therefore inherently efficient.

Our cities, and culture, on the other hand were developed with cheap energy as a foundation. It will take a sea change to make even a small improvement on the waste that is in our DNA. Add to that a culture based on making money instead of saving energy and we are in a bad way.
The other side of the coin is that our freedom of mobility gives us choice. If the grocery at the end of the block is overpriced or has inferior product, you can easily patronize another store as long as you have affordable transportation. If we lose the cheap transport, neighborhood businesses of all stripes are given a sort of geographic monopoly. Those at the bottom financially are, of course, effected the most.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
The other side of the coin is that our freedom of mobility gives us choice. If the grocery at the end of the block is overpriced or has inferior product, you can easily patronize another store as long as you have affordable transportation. If we lose the cheap transport, neighborhood businesses of all stripes are given a sort of geographic monopoly. Those at the bottom financially are, of course, effected the most.
Oranges are oranges.
Charmin toilet paper is Charmin toilet paper.
Budweiser is Budweiser.

etc. etc.

It doesn't matter where we buy those commodities. Also allowing a store to have a neighborhood monopoly guarantees its viability. If the owner tries to gouge the customers then they will beat his ass. As a practical matter though gouging does not happen because the store owner lives in the same neighborhood as his customers. They are his friends and neighbors.

How many grocery stores does Wasilla have? I've only been there once but from what I recall it probably only has one.

The Detroit area is littered with abandoned grocery stores. The weaker ones lost out as the suburbs grew and customer density decreased. Where we used to have strip malls with a grocery store as an anchor we now have several strip malls with cheap shops and Salvation Army centers occupying the old grocery stores. Just the other day I took a ride up to new and ritzy area where Kid Rock lives. Even they have a Salvation Army in a not-so-old grocery store.

I realize that not many people understand where my brain comes from and my anger. It is a manifestation of living under the extremes of so************************m in Germany and the extremes of capitalism in Detroit. After those experiences I've leaned towards a lesser evil and it's not laissez-faire capitalism. That stuff is Satan incarnate.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Oranges are oranges.
Charmin toilet paper is Charmin toilet paper.
Budweiser is Budweiser.

etc. etc.

It doesn't matter where we buy those commodities. Also allowing a store to have a neighborhood monopoly guarantees its viability. If the owner tries to gouge the customers then they will beat his ass. As a practical matter though gouging does not happen because the store owner lives in the same neighborhood as his customers. They are his friends and neighbors.

How many grocery stores does Wasilla have? I've only been there once but from what I recall it probably only has one.

The Detroit area is littered with abandoned grocery stores. The weaker ones lost out as the suburbs grew and customer density decreased. Where we used to have strip malls with a grocery store as an anchor we now have several strip malls with cheap shops and Salvation Army centers occupying the old grocery stores. Just the other day I took a ride up to new and ritzy area where Kid Rock lives. Even they have a Salvation Army in a not-so-old grocery store.

I realize that not many people understand where my brain comes from and my anger. It is a manifestation of living under the extremes of so************************m in Germany and the extremes of capitalism in Detroit. After those experiences I've leaned towards a lesser evil and it's not laissez-faire capitalism. That stuff is Satan incarnate.
Wasilla has at least 5 grocery stores- Carr's, Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart, Denali Foods, Three Bears. Not to mention specialty shops- Matanuska Dairy, House of Bread, Northstar Bakery, etc.

Oranges from Wal-Mart suck. Budweiser at Carr's is never cold enough. Charmin at Fred Meyer's is overpriced.
The only one within reasonable walking distance (less than 3 miles) is Carr's.
The Detroit area is littered with abandoned everything. The unions sucked the life out of that end of the country.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Wasilla has at least 5 grocery stores- Carr's, Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart, Denali Foods, Three Bears. Not to mention specialty shops- Matanuska Dairy, House of Bread, Northstar Bakery, etc.

Oranges from Wal-Mart suck. Budweiser at Carr's is never cold enough. Charmin at Fred Meyer's is overpriced.
The only one within reasonable walking distance (less than 3 miles) is Carr's.
The Detroit area is littered with abandoned everything. The unions sucked the life out of that end of the country.
If the unions sucked the life out of Detroit then riddle us this:

Why was Detroit strongest when the unions were the strongest?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
If the unions sucked the life out of Detroit then riddle us this:

Why was Detroit strongest when the unions were the strongest?
Because the cost of all those pensions hadn't caught up with the auto companies yet.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Because the cost of all those pensions hadn't caught up with the auto companies yet.
How can that be if old pensions get paid with new inflated currency?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Really? Then please explain to me how my former emplloyer in Canada manages to honor its pension, apply COLA as appropriate, keep their pension fully funded and still be profitable? Oh, and they are a regulated utility as well.

You righties make me think of a comment by H. L. Mencken as to why puritans were so miserable because they worried that someone somewhere just might be happy.