Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Ready

Victory in 2018 is the best way to head off this mischief!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:11 AM

From my older and infinitely more eloquent brother.

Quote:
ABOUT SCARAMUCCI, SPICER, HUCKABEE SANDERS, and this administration’s unprecedented war on the press (a word that, with my print background, I prefer to “media”):

Most people tell the truth most of the time. Most people tell lies, white or otherwise, some of the time. This natural human tendency becomes intensified, sometimes glaringly, in the world of politics.

In my days as a journalist I’ve been lied to many times. Sometimes they were silly lies, or egotistical exaggerations, or inconsequential inventions, or misleading evasions. Once, a man in a public position whom I had considered a good and honest source lied to me egregiously, after I had asked a point-blank question, about a crucial matter involving a multi-million-dollar, publicly funded project, and I ran a front-page story without the one fact that changed everything. I learned almost immediately he had lied, and dogged the story, and got it right from other sources for the next story, and never trusted him again. He was, journalistically speaking, dead to me.

The primary duty of a presidential press secretary or spokesperson is to be an honest broker of the facts. Every president of whatever party evades, exaggerates, misleads, or obstructs on occasion. This is part of the push/pull between politicians and the press: there should always be a healthy friction between the two, a mutual skepticism that, when rubbed together, produces the spark of truth.

Every president sometimes lies to the press and the nation. The good presidents do this rarely, and only when they consider it crucial to the welfare of the nation. On such lies, history is built. It is the task of the press to ferret out the truth.

A press secretary walks a fine line. She or he represents the viewpoints and policies of the administration, but also must gain and hold the respect of the journalists who cover the news. That means offering respect in turn. It means, sometimes, using the phrase “I have no comment on that” rather than inventing or repeating a presidential fabrication. To an extraordinary degree, the trustworthiness of the press secretary is dependent on the trustworthiness of the president she or he represents.

And so, the irresolvable problem for Scaramucci, Spicer, and Huckabee Sanders: How can you begin to be an honest broker when the lie is the default position of the president you serve? You must know that the press knows you are passing along a deliberate untruth. You must know that the press, for very good reason, trusts virtually none of what you have to say. You must know that your true job, in the eyes of your president, is not to be a broker of information but to disseminate and make excuses for the Big Lie that is the base of the president’s political and emotional strategy. And you must know that, like the boy who cried wolf, someday you will pass along an important truth and no one will believe you.

How, then, can you expect to succeed? Failure is baked into your assignment. Under such circumstances, the only honorable position is simply to refuse to serve. For reasons of partisanship or ambition or something else, you have not done that. This is a failure, not just for you, not just for the presidency, but for the entire nation. A nation divided might stand: We’ve done that for a long, long time. A nation riven by mutual mistrust, and by a fundamental policy among its leadership of lying and proclaiming alternative facts?

If you fabricate, you will fail. If you refuse to fabricate, you will lose your job. Your move.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:38 AM
Banned

Am I nuts or is the mooch already contradicting Trump on Russian interference in the election?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b09e5f6ccf78b4
Old 07-24-2017, 09:46 AM

Kushner did real estate deals with Russian money launderers.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ney-laundering
Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 AM

The beginning of the end? Witch hunting season just began on the Potomac.

Current Score: Trump 0, Mueller 3 and Mueller's team is still at bat with no outs.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Meanwhile, back at the airport--Trump's limousine is so big, it doesn't even look like a ride to him?

https://twitter.com/MarcusC22973194/...63485610536960
Have a look at this again, in light of recent comments about Trump and dementia.

(except link turns out to be broken. Stand by....)

OK, here's a working link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpX7CuTMJgI

Last edited by donquixote99; 12-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Ready

It looks like it's all going to end like our standard cultural myth said it would, with Armageddon. The Jerusalem provocation is calculated to draw a spectacular violent Islamic response. Trump sees this as blowing Russiagate away in a wave of popularity like Bush got after 9/11. Then he will get to pick a country in the Middle East to invade.

The nutty evangelicals will be loving every minute of it!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post

The nutty evangelicals will be loving every minute of it!
Oh shit! I forget about them.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Oh shit! I forget about them.
Don't worry, it will end in eight years.