Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
These protesters are all planted by the GOP,.
Good grief, surely you don't really believe that.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:01 PM

The Teabaggers, and the people who are showing up at these town halls are no more GOP "plants" than the people who voted Obama into office are Democratic "plants". I won't go so far as to say that the SEIU? thugs aren't "plants".

These are everyday slobs, perhaps not like you or I, who are attempting to voice their concerns.

I don't go to things like this, for two reasons. One, I ain't into group therapy, and two...if some goon were to grab me by the throat, they's a better than even chance he's gonna be eating a Gerber, or have a cocked S&W under his chin.

Discretion is the better part of valor, and I make a point out of not putting myself in a position where my truly evil temper comes into play.

Just best for everybody.

Chas
Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Resident octogenarian

The GOP is determined to defeat any form of health care reform that will hurt the insurance companies and are going to any length to stop it. Do I believe it? Hell yes.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The GOP is determined to defeat any form of health care reform that will hurt the insurance companies and are going to any length to stop it. Do I believe it? Hell yes.
I read once that 60% on the people in politics had, or will, work for an insurance company. Don't forget that the insurance lobby butters both sides of the bread.

Now I'm not saying that I disagree with you...what I'm saying is that whatever comes out of congress is going to benefit the insurance industry first.

Did you ever read your insurance policy? You will find out that the party best protected by your policy is the insurance company itself.

A pox on all of the bastards, they all want to make me puke.

Case in point. After State Farm lost 30% of my mutual funds, they sent me a newsletter. In this newsletter, the told me that "even professional investors have lost a lot of money in todays market".

When I read this, I came to the conclusion that they had just told me that they were a bunch of idiots. After further reflection, I realized that they had just told me that "I" was the idiot.

Chas
Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Tell me why you feel the old should be worried. Medicare is generally accepted as a great plan and I know of no seniors who are not thrilled to have it.
I know the old are worried because of Fox and the GOP, but rationally, why should they be if Medicare is such a success?
Why should they be worried? Rationing care comes to mind. So do cuts to Medicare, possible elimination of Medicare Advantage programs, exorbitant premium hikes, higher co-pays. And these are just off the top of my head.

In short, any changes for the worse to a program that works fair at best.

And in case you're wondering why I'm concerned, it's because I've got a pair of retired parents here in their 70's who are both angry as hell and worried sick about all this, and nothing I say calms them down. They're fairly satisfied with what they have now and want zero changes, and frankly, I can't say as I blame them. I wouldn't either.

They nor I have yet to read or hear about any aspect of health care reform that will directly benefit seniors.

Have I looked at the bill? Yes. It's so filled with rubbish, doublespeak, and deliberately arcane language it's not funny. In order to adequately translate it to standard English, one would need the entire code of U.S. law at hand to see which paragraphs and sentences have words struck out, added, changed, or altered. I'm not a lawyer. That bill should be written in plain English.

This health care reform plan is a joke. All the government ought to do is cover those who can't pay for insurance, help those who can pay according to their income, make sure no one is refused coverage for pre-existing conditions, and keep premiums reasonable.

How do we pay for all this? Stop the unnecessary bailouts and stop King George's unnecessary war.

/rant

Last edited by OvenMaster; 08-07-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
Why should they be worried? Rationing care comes to mind. So do cuts to Medicare, possible elimination of Medicare Advantage programs, exorbitant premium hikes, higher co-pays. And these are just off the top of my head.

And in case you're wondering why I'm concerned, it's because I've got a pair of retired parents here in their 70's who are both angry as hell and worried sick about all this, and nothing I say calms them down. They're fairly satisfied with what they have now and want zero changes, and frankly, I can't say as I blame them. I wouldn't either.

They nor I have yet to read or hear about any aspect of health care reform that will directly benefit seniors.

Have I looked at the bill? Yes. It's so filled with rubbish, doublespeak, and deliberately arcane language it's not funny. In order to adequately translate it to standard English, one would need the entire code of U.S. law at hand to see which paragraphs and sentences have words struck out, added, changed, or altered. I'm not a lawyer. That bill should be written in plain English.

This health care reform plan is a joke. All the government ought to do is cover those who can't pay for insurance, help those who can pay according to their income, make sure no one is refused coverage for pre-existing conditions, and keep premiums reasonable.

How do we pay for all this? Stop the unnecessary bailouts and stop King George's unnecessary war.

/rant
Well, you're ahead of me, I have no idea as to what health care reform is.

As far as King George's war, it's over. It WAS won at one time.

Now it's King Obama's war in Afghanistan. When was the last time anyone ever won a war in Afghanistan?

Personally, I don't think it much matters. We're gonna be slugging it out in the Middle East for a long time. If Shrub hadn't have done it, someone else would have been forced to.

Chas
Old 08-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post

/rant
I find this a sad post, seriously. Medicare is regarded as a tremendous success by all, yes even the radical right. For you parents to be scared of national health care being that they already have experience with Medicare is very upsetting and frankly an unconscionable situation that the republicans have caused.
I don't know what is wrong with this party but it just needs to go away and let a new mainstream one raise up from the ashes.
Between the rise of the "christen right", the Palin morons and this protect big business at all costs approach the republican party has become a blight on this great country, not an alternative.
I hope you guys run Palin in 2012 and the party collapses.

I remember John McCain near the end of the election facing a scared voter who said, "I'm scared of Barack Obama... he's an Arab terrorist..."

McCain responded "No, no ma'am. He's a decent family man with whom I happen to have some disagreements." “I want EVERYONE to be respectful, and lets make sure we are."
A woman later said that she was afraid to raise her child in a world where Obama was president, and McCain replied, "Well, I don't want him to be president, either. I wouldn't be running if I did. But, you don't have to be scared to have him be President of the United States."

McCain knew he had allowed his campaign to sell irrational fear and he was embarrassed and ashamed. It was the old John McCain.
The same disgusting crap is taking place today.
The Rove inspire modern GOP needs to be disbanded. It is just plain old bad for sociaty.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Personally, I don't think it much matters. We're gonna be slugging it out in the Middle East for a long time. If Shrub hadn't have done it, someone else would have been forced to.

Chas
I think it matters tremendously. Had we not gone to war against a "contained" country we would not have been in such bad economic shape and the money we spent could have been for national health care instead of for Exxon.

As to Afghanistan, we should have prosecuted this war with all our strength and not allowed the terrorists to keep a foothall there. Both wars were executed in an inept manner that did not put or safety first.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I find this a sad post, seriously. Medicare is regarded as a tremendous success by all, yes even the radical right.
While many may regard it as a success, I'll bet the doctors facing 21% cuts in payment won't for long. Also according to this article the whole thing will be insolvent by 2017. That sound successful to me, kind of like the clunker program is.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124212734686110365.html
Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Abby Normal

Medicare has been around since FDR with very few complains.
The sky is not falling no matter what the irresponsible right and their puppets say.

Don't you read that article and think, "Hell we better get health care COSTS under control?"

No because the writer of it was not selling that perspective.

Last edited by noonereal; 08-08-2009 at 07:11 AM.