Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:39 PM
Admin

Taiwan To Buy 400 Harpoon Anti-Ship Missiles

Mostly landbased. That should give Xi and his bellicose followers pause. The Formosa Straits would be a vast graveyard if they come at Taiwan.

This old hippie is pleased.

"(Bloomberg) -- Taiwan will buy as many as 400 land-launched Harpoon missiles intended to repel a potential Chinese invasion, completing a deal that Congress approved in 2020, according to a trade group’s leader and people familiar with the issue." Bloomies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...7dbd6cf1&ei=89
Old 04-18-2023, 05:02 PM

There gonna need more....
Old 04-18-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
This, and it's a short range weapon.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:18 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
"At least 339 Harpoon missiles were sold to the Republic of China Air Force (Taiwan) for its F-16 A/B Block 20 fleet and the Republic of China Navy, which operates four guided-missile destroyers and eight guided-missile frigates with the capability of carrying the Harpoon, including the eight former U.S. Navy Knox-class frigates and the four former USN Kidd-class destroyers which have been sold to Taiwan." Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpoon_(missile)

I heard that the Jewish Space Laser command is being deactivated. Dumplings in a tincan are on the menu. (grin)

Last edited by bobabode; 04-18-2023 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:46 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChief View Post
This, and it's a short range weapon.
Published range is out to 70 miles and the strait is 80 - 100 miles, so mostly covered. Agree that they'll need more of them. I wonder what the cruise missile version's range is? I didn't see an answer on Wiki.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Published range is out to 70 miles and the strait is 80 - 100 miles, so mostly covered. Agree that they'll need more of them. I wonder what the cruise missile version's range is? I didn't see an answer on Wiki.
Its a stand alone antiship missiles system fired from canisters. The Knox can will have 2, 4 barrel launchers. If the Kidds have the original MK 26 launchers, and I belive they still do, and not VLS (was working on one of those today) then they can only shoot anti air and ASROC (rocket thrown torpedo) and will have between 2 and 4 4 barrel Haproon launchers.

The next step up would be Tomahawks.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:44 PM

That's what I was talking about, Harpoons; we need modern but cheap PT style boats.

4 tubes on each side, 2,000 hp motor driving a water jet.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:15 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GChief View Post
Its a stand alone antiship missiles system fired from canisters. The Knox can will have 2, 4 barrel launchers. If the Kidds have the original MK 26 launchers, and I belive they still do, and not VLS (was working on one of those today) then they can only shoot anti air and ASROC (rocket thrown torpedo) and will have between 2 and 4 4 barrel Haproon launchers.

The next step up would be Tomahawks.
Neat job you have, Chief. I used to go saltwater fishing with an old salt sr. chief who was the weapons guy on one of those gas turbine powered Navy hotrods. Those things must do 40 mph or better. Classified of course.

I remember watching one of those leave Seal Beach weapons station and corner San Clemente island while we'd only made mid-channel on a fishing cattleboat headed for Catalina.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:10 AM

I lied about the Knox class having a separate Harpoon launcher. You would think I would of remember since FF1097 was my second ship and favorite command, hell my division was even responsible for the ASROC launcher. In my defense that was 1988-1990.

The MK-16 ASROC launcher has 8 cells and it can fire ASROCs and Harpoons. We always had Harpoons loaded in the 4 outer cells, 2 on each side.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:23 PM

Heck ya.

Just use one of these modern off-shore racing boats 45' long.

Eight barrels per side.

Make a missle that can take out a sub as it's starting to dive, maybe down ten feet.

Last edited by BigElCat; 04-19-2023 at 03:33 PM.