Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I think mine are glued...if not it is industrial strength velcro!!
Could be. Thinking about it I tried to find info on them. I see some velcro like mine were and some glued. The AR4xa looks to be all velcro, but I'm seeing the AR4x's came both ways. May depend on year I'm guessing. If they don't come off without much effort then they probably glued on.

Check out how the tweeters are wired. It looks like it would be quite a bit of work to remove the tweeters without damage. In the picture, I can see someone cut through a fine wire going to the tweeter. The factory glued them to the wood and they go across the front of the cone and into the voice coil.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/I...1376601452.jpg

And here is a bunch of other model AR's with grills removed. They range from glue on to velcro.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ar4x...63%3B640%3B480

Last edited by hillbilly; 11-12-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:40 AM

I just never seen the staples. They were hot glued down on the six pairs or so I have messed with.

On the pots, if your fingers are still nimble. You can unsnap the spring and dissemble the parts inside the cabinet. Then cleanup the parts. The half's only go back together one way IIRC. The innards just lightly clean with sand paper then put a dab of bulb grease on and work it some.

Barney
Old 11-12-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Could be. Thinking about it I tried to find info on them. I see some velcro like mine were and some glued. The AR4xa looks to be all velcro, but I'm seeing the AR4x's came both ways. May depend on year I'm guessing. If they don't come off without much effort then they probably glued on.

Check out how the tweeters are wired. It looks like it would be quite a bit of work to remove the tweeters without damage. In the picture, I can see someone cut through a fine wire going to the tweeter. The factory glued them to the wood and they go across the front of the cone and into the voice coil.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/I...1376601452.jpg

And here is a bunch of other model AR's with grills removed. They range from glue on to velcro.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ar4x...63%3B640%3B480
Oh I am not going to remove the tweeters. I am just going to remove the pot and clean it and just stick a new el cheapo $1.49 radio shack capacitor in the crossover using wire nuts. The less work the better!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
I just never seen the staples. They were hot glued down on the six pairs or so I have messed with.

On the pots, if your fingers are still nimble. You can unsnap the spring and dissemble the parts inside the cabinet. Then cleanup the parts. The half's only go back together one way IIRC. The innards just lightly clean with sand paper then put a dab of bulb grease on and work it some.

Barney
They are inboard on the grill cloth about a quarter inch the color meshes so well with the fabric it is hard to see them...they are real small staples.

I found a really good AR4x pot cleaning guide on AK the member basically desoldered the wires from the pot, soaked the pot in white vinegar and salt, cleaned the metal parts with a dremel, then put it all back together and rewired it. I think I can do that lol. After refoaming the snells and putting on a new Nakamichi belt last month.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Got the grills how without destroying the frames yay. Use a putty knife to loosen the gap between the grill and the speaker and then raised up the edges with a short-barrel flat-head screwdriver.

Cloth surrounds hurray! Drivers intact. I do not feel like dropping $20 bucks on new caps just now but will try and clean the pots this weekend. I guess the big AR score are the 3s.

Are those AR3s the same size as the 4s? I guess I should ask on AK lol.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Ready

Not same size. AR-4 10x19x9, 2-way.

AR-3 14x25x11 3/8 3-way.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:55 PM

I found a ticket stub 32 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clashticket82.jpg (77.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 PM

Yet another Pioneer RT-707 reel to reel deck. This is my 5th, and the nicest one yet, cosmetically. Also the first one I've obtained that has the original 7 1/2" take up reel. Looking at completed sales on the bay, I can get my money back just selling that take up reel.
Haven't checked it out yet, but looking at the condition, I expect it will work just fine.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:42 PM

I dipped the AR4x pots in some distilled white vinegar and salt, then showered them off with contact cleaner and then put them under my shower head for a few minutes.
They sound pretty good...I think they are sort of revealing. They are sure sticky and dirty on the inside. I used wire nuts to rewire everything since my soldering skills are crap.

I love getting good speakers for dirt cheap that everyone else wants.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:53 PM

I am done gathering speakers. I am down to about a dozen pairs not counting the HT gear.
Good that you like your AR4X.