Area Man

42 Years ago, today................

And a short drive from my hometown;

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...kent_stat.html

http://dept.kent.edu/may4/chrono.html

Dave
Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I'm glad I live in a less roiled time for sure. I prefer the second link, it seems fairly evenhanded, although I don't quite get how the Guard betrayed the students.

Thanks for the post.

Pete
Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Area Man

Some feel the National Guard exists to protect the citizenry and their right to protest. Not to shoot at them for doing so. Also note that the guard was in retreat when they turned and fired.

FWIW, my oldest Brother has a close friend who was a Kent Police officer present for that mess. After it was over, he turned in his badge, saying he couldn't work for any organization that took killing it's own citizens so lightly. He said he'd overheard other cops and Guardsmen bragging and joking about the events, well within earshot of their superiors. Using phrases like "turkeyshoot" and "...shooting fish in a barrel."

Dave
Old 05-04-2012, 01:37 PM

I remember the time pretty well. People were still really pissed about the My Lai cover-up being uncovered which really heated things up.
When school started in the fall of 1971 my US Gov teacher played Ohio off 4 Way Street every Monday for the first semester.

Yep, that was a time allright.

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/fot/ohio.htm
Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 PM

The photo below was taken a few minutes after the murders. The photo and map above pinpoints where William Schroeder (1), Sandra Scheuer (2), Jeffrey Miller (3) and Allison Krause (4) were murdered. All of them were more than 260 feet from the place where the soldiers were standing.

Wiki:

Sandra Lee Scheuer was a student at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, when she was killed by Ohio National Guardsmen in the Kent State shootings.

Scheuer, born in Youngstown, Ohio, was an honors student in speech therapy. She was a graduate of Boardman High School. She did not take part in the Vietnam War protests that preceded the shootings. She was shot through the throat with an M-1 rifle from a distance of 130 yards (119 m) while walking between classes and died within five or six minutes from loss of blood. According to the account of Bruce Burkland, a close family friend, Scheuer "was walking with one of her speech and hearing therapy students across the green. Neither Sandra nor the young man had anything to do with the assembly of students on the green."

William Knox Schroeder was a student at Kent State University, Ohio, when he was killed by Ohio National Guardsmen in the Kent State shootings.

Schroeder was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. He moved with his family to Lorain, Ohio, when he was in elementary school and graduated from Lorain High School where he was an honors student.[citation needed] Already an Eagle Scout,[1] at age 17 Schroeder applied for the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Scholarship. He received the Academic Achievement award from both the Colorado School of Mines and from Kent State University, where he was a psychology student. He also earned the Association of the United States Army award for excellence in History.

Schroeder was killed with a shot in the back from a single bullet from an M-1 semi-automatic military rifle. According to reports, he was not taking part in the Vietnam War protests that preceded the shootings, but simply walking between classes
Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Resident octogenarian

Looking on from Canada I felt that there was a big whitewash, 42 years later I have seen nothing to change my mind.