Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
We're lucky they made it back, Don. The 10th suffered a 74% casualty rate by the end of it all. They were the first armored unit shipped straight to France. Two weeks later they were part of the 'Reduction of Metz', a stronghold that hadn't been taken since to Roman legions built it 1500 years ago. Dad was the most popular guy at division HQ, he was a mailman.
My dad was a medic in McArthur's New Guinea campaign. We still have dozens of Victory Mail letters he and my Mom exchanged during the war. We even have the letter by which they got engaged and him telling her where to go with her mother to pick out a ring.

My Dad was 30 years old, working full-time and going to Georgetown U. at night, when the war broke out. At his draft physical, the doctor said "Mr. Finn, you won't be drafted until Hitler comes goose-stepping down Rockville Pike" because of poor eyesight (he wore thick glasses). He was drafted 3 months later and was trained to be a medic. His brother was drafted and served in North Africa, Sicily and Anzio.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
My dad was a medic in McArthur's New Guinea campaign. We still have dozens of Victory Mail letters he and my Mom exchanged during the war. We even have the letter by which they got engaged and him telling her where to go with her mother to pick out a ring.

My Dad was 30 years old, working full-time and going to Georgetown U. at night, when the war broke out. At his draft physical, the doctor said "Mr. Finn, you won't be drafted until Hitler comes goose-stepping down Rockville Pike" because of poor eyesight (he wore thick glasses). He was drafted 3 months later and was trained to be a medic. His brother was drafted and served in North Africa, Sicily and Anzio.
Some of the toughest duty there was, was in New Guinea, Finn. Hat's off to your old man.

My dad hotfooted it down to a Naval recruitment office shortly after Pearl Harbor. He so wanted to fly against Tojo, only to find out that he was colorblind. Mom says that it was the only time she saw him break down and cry.

The draft board decided he would be with the ground pounders fighting under some general from Pasadena, Ca. name of George Patton.

Gen. Patton basically stole the 10th AD from Patch Adams' 1st Army (maybe 7th?). As a ploy to hold onto them he kept the division at the spearpoint of his army. That way Ike couldn't snatch them back. Then Bastogne happened.

I still have his Nazi dress dagger war trophy and a copy of the bust of a Roma Maid from a bridge across the Rhine at Trier that Rome's 10th Legion built way, waaay back in the day. IIRC that was the last bridge that the Nazi's had primed to blow but they getting drunk at a local Ratskeller instead of manning their assigned position. Imagine their surprise when some dog faced pony soldiers showed up at their door. (grin)
Old 04-18-2023, 05:42 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I still have his Nazi dress dagger war trophy and a copy of the bust of a Roma Maid from a bridge across the Rhine at Trier that Rome's 10th Legion built way, waaay back in the day. IIRC that was the last bridge that the Nazi's had primed to blow but they getting drunk at a local Ratskeller instead of manning their assigned position. Imagine their surprise when some dog faced pony soldiers showed up at their door. (grin)
When I was a kid living in Germany in the early 60's, my school buddies and I collected all sorts of Nazi memorabilia. We traded shit as if it were baseball cards. I have no idea what happened with it. I think my folks allowed me to collect it with my buddies while we were there (we used to play army in bombed-out pillboxes, bunkers and airplane hangars), but trashed it during the move back to the States. I still do have a huge collection of Third Reich (and earlier) postage stamps stashed away somewhere.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:42 PM

Father was @ New Guinea, repairing Higgins boats for the island hops.

Last edited by Pio1980; 04-19-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 07:41 AM
Ready

Just saw a thing that said in 80 years, society forgets even big things that happened. We're hitting that for WWII. It shows.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Just saw a thing that said in 80 years, society forgets even big things that happened. We're hitting that for WWII. It shows.
A core group of the Nazis were employed by the USA after the war, to further advances in science. Their spy group was taken to Eygpt to further US interests in the Cold War.

Methodologies evolved within the intelligence communities based on Gehlen's practices.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigElCat View Post
A core group of the Nazis were employed by the USA after the war, to further advances in science. Their spy group was taken to Eygpt to further US interests in the Cold War.

Methodologies evolved within the intelligence communities based on Gehlen's practices.

Tom Lehrer: Werner von Braun

Once the rockets are up
Who cares where they come down
That's not my department
Says Werner von Braun

Some have harsh words for this man of renown
But some think our attitude should be one of gratitude
Like the widows and cripples in old London Town
Who owe their large pensions to Werner von Braun
Old 04-23-2023, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Tomorrow is the 80th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. Nazis and their sympathizers can go fuck themselves.
Of course whell and the rest of his ilk will deny that they are nazi sympathizers.

I take this opportunity to once again reccomend...

Trump's 2016 political advisors, Bannon, Manafort, Gates, Flynn, Stone, Jason Miller, put together a plan straight out of the Mussolini playbook. Trump is not intelligent enough or interested in history enough to formulate anything on his own.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 04-23-2023 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2023, 08:11 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Trump's 2016 political advisors, Bannon, Manafort, Gates, Flynn, Stone, Jason Miller, (he's not intelligent enough or interested in history enough to formulate anything on his own), put together a plan straight out of the Mussolini playbook.
Trump hasn't hidden his fascist agenda for his next term. Indeed, he's running on it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elect...policies-2024/
Old 04-23-2023, 12:44 PM

FWIW

In 1987, at the height of Iran / Contra / Cocaine scandal, I graduate with a BS degree in Psychology with an interest in Criminology. I was also a heavy pot smoker, and on a lark, I walked into the campus CIA recuitment office.

The Recruitment Officer stated that if I had already been accepted to any Law Enforcement Academy in the CONUS, the CIA was willing to offer me a job, based on my grades and college training. She said that if I had not yet applied to any Law Enforcement academy, the CIA could help me procure an appointment.

My thought was, Wow Man, I don't want to be a cop. I did not occur to me that was against the rules; the CIA operating in the CONUS.

That what we're up against.

(((Sending the Nazi spy apparatus to Eygpt after WW2 shaped middle east politics to an extreme, and the cold war in general))....edit..not sure why I threw this extraneous factoid in here.

Last edited by BigElCat; 04-23-2023 at 09:29 PM.