Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
Since you mention it Dray,

The people that we are dealing with in the sandbox, laugh at or weakness. Humanity, civilized behavior, rules , these are things for the weak.

There is a moral high ground to be maintained if we wish to continue being the country our forefathers envisioned. Anything less would be a betrayal of the sacrifices suffered by our countrymen and women - whether active duty or civilian past and present.

To simply ignore our obligations to the Geneva Accords and stoop to the level of the jihadists would in my opinion do far worse damage to the country than any attack they could dream up.

I understand your visceral argument in favor of loosing the dogs of war on these cowards that fly planes into office towers but scorched earth and the salting of it really isn't our thing as Americans.

Now the active and selective targeting of people bent on our destruction is a much more costly endeavor but how could we look ourselves in the mirror each day knowing that we stooped (for expedience sake) to carpet bombing whole areas to get a few criminals hiding therein?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Only Abraham did not auction off his son, he was commanded to offer his son.

This father is just a merchant, selling off his children to the highest bidder. I wonder if he will be selling off his daughters next ?

And we worry about collateral damage ? We should fight enemies by their standards and rules, not by rules written by civilized nations. Give them all their 72 virgins, and a one way trip to whoever they believe in. Before they walk up behind us and and send us to our God.

400,000 dollars U.S. for your son, that you are sending off to be a suicide murderer.
You ought to be able to get most anybody taken care of for 10-50K.

Chas
Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Since you mention it Dray,

We draw lots to determine whose son goes to war, and their fathers and/ or families get nothing ?
The days of drawing lots are over. Nowadays, the military is - for some - an employer of last resort; for others it is the only feasible way of financing a college education. Granted, for some a military life is chosen primarily out of a sense of duty, but overall I would suggest that we have an economic draft.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Give them all their 72 virgins, and a one way trip to whoever they believe in.

I like the Family Guy take on this where the guy shows up to heaven and there are 72 virgins waiting for him and all of them are men
Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
There is a moral high ground to be maintained if we wish to continue being the country our forefathers envisioned. Anything less would be a betrayal of the sacrifices suffered by our countrymen and women - whether active duty or civilian past and present.

To simply ignore our obligations to the Geneva Accords and stoop to the level of the jihadists would in my opinion do far worse damage to the country than any attack they could dream up.

I understand your visceral argument in favor of loosing the dogs of war on these cowards that fly planes into office towers but scorched earth and the salting of it really isn't our thing as Americans.

Now the active and selective targeting of people bent on our destruction is a much more costly endeavor but how could we look ourselves in the mirror each day knowing that we stooped (for expedience sake) to carpet bombing whole areas to get a few criminals hiding therein?

High Moral Ground is a fine thing when playing football. War is WAR, and if you do not intend to win, surrender, or don't get involved at all.

We have been in Afghanistan 10 years now, and lost 1,974 and counting soldiers. We have also had 14,000 wounded soldiers, and I feel so badly for many of them that survived. Death would have been far more desirable to me that a life like some of them will be forced to bear.

WWII, 6 years, 291,557 Americans Killed, 670,846 Wounded, but we came, we fought, we conquered. Rules have no place in a life and death "game". It only matters who wins and looses, and who lives and who dies.

For those that sit at home and want to believe that American Forces are nice guys that play fair, Fock You ! We are their to win, and hopefully return home to live our lives after we win. Everything else is survival and making heroes of the people we were sent to kill. And Yes I Know that WE did not WIN in Vietnam, neither did you !
Old 05-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Loyal Opposition

I doubt that that is what they teach at the military academies.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
High Moral Ground is a fine thing when playing football. War is WAR, and if you do not intend to win, surrender, or don't get involved at all.

We have been in Afghanistan 10 years now, and lost 1,974 and counting soldiers. We have also had 14,000 wounded soldiers, and I feel so badly for many of them that survived. Death would have been far more desirable to me that a life like some of them will be forced to bear.

WWII, 6 years, 291,557 Americans Killed, 670,846 Wounded, but we came, we fought, we conquered. Rules have no place in a life and death "game". It only matters who wins and looses, and who lives and who dies.

For those that sit at home and want to believe that American Forces are nice guys that play fair, Fock You ! We are their to win, and hopefully return home to live our lives after we win. Everything else is survival and making heroes of the people we were sent to kill. And Yes I Know that WE did not WIN in Vietnam, neither did you !
Have you ever heard of "war crimes?"
Old 05-17-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I doubt that that is what they teach at the military academies.

Regards,

D-Ray

In fact it is Dray,

They may use nice words, and call it Strategies for defeating the enemies of America, but it all boils down to blood and teas when the first bombardment is initiated, and you order your men to move out.

I'm sure that you have learned volumes about the Legal System, and the Courts since you graduated from Law School and passed your Bars.
Academies and Universities teach you what you are supposed to encounter, not what you will encounter ounce you enter the real world.
Life is never what you imagined
Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Have you ever heard of "war crimes?"

Yes I have my dear Finn,

They are the crimes committed by the looser of a war.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Loyal Opposition

I would say that this is a demonstration about why it is essential that we have civilian command over the military, but I really don't think that is a view espoused by a majority of military professionals. I have read interviews and articles by several high ranking military officers that refute the "no holds barred" mentality.

Regards,

D-Ray